• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

quick question about myxi vac

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Ruby is out of sync with all my other buns when it comes to injections and I got a letter through the post saying her myxi vac is now overdue... SO I called the vet straightaway because she's going to fat fluffs tomorrow to be bonded and I wanted to get her done before it goes on too long. They said they had no appointments except their priority appts on saturday mornings. I said could I have one of those because I didn't want her to be overdue on her vac for the next week.

They said you can but the vaccine is "live" and therefore will put the other buns at the rescue "at risk."

Is she talking out of her :censored:?

Ruby is out of sync with all my other buns when it comes to injections and I got a letter through the post saying her myxi vac is now overdue... SO I called the vet straightaway because she's going to fat fluffs tomorrow to be bonded and I wanted to get her done before it goes on too long. They said they had no appointments except their priority appts on saturday mornings. I said could I have one of those because I didn't want her to be overdue on her vac for the next week.

They said you can but the vaccine is "live" and therefore will put the other buns at the rescue "at risk."

Is she talking out of her :censored:?

Yes she is, there is no risk to other bunnies, however there is no way I would put a rabbit through a vaccination and then allow it to travel and be bonded. It would be far too much stress. I would personally wait at least 14 days between any vaccination and bonding attempt :)

I feel stuck now because I really want her to be vaccinated against it pronto, especially as it's quite profuse at the moment... :?

She's young and healthy - does that make a difference to the risk?

Yes she is, there is no risk to other bunnies, however there is no way I would put a rabbit through a vaccination and then allow it to travel and be bonded. It would be far too much stress. I would personally wait at least 14 days between any vaccination and bonding attempt :)

Ditto - in fact if she is stressed she may not develop the immunity reaction that is needed and will not be so well protected.

I feel stuck now because I really want her to be vaccinated against it pronto, especially as it's quite profuse at the moment... :?

She's young and healthy - does that make a difference to the risk?

Is this her six months one. If it is and had one six months ago she will still be covered by the yearly one. I've been unable to get Frankie jabbed because of his respiratory problem and my vet advised I am still covered by his yearly one.

Have a chat with Chloe. I would have thought she would be fine to go, but she will advise you.

Back