• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies in their new aviary - behaving oddly!

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave:

Well as some of you know, Dizzi and Rascal were indoors for bonding last week whilst OH made their run into an aviary and re-vamped their hutch. The aviary is now 15ft x 6ft and is about 6ft high. The hutch is a double decker with permanent access to the aviary!

They've been in there since Sunday but have been behaving oddly! They're both being really skittish and every little sound/movement bothers them.

We wondered if it could be because they feel a little exposed (although they have the hutch to hide in and under) because the ceiling is so much taller, they don't feel quite as secure as before?

Or maybe the difference in noises is freaking them out - with the roof on, things do sound different acoustically.

I've hand fed them at least once a day since they came to live with us (at end of May) but now they run up, take a pellet and then run off with it to eat ... they won't just sit there and eat out of my hand anymore! Like they're scared of me. :( I can't get more than a 2 second nose rub out of them either! They're both as twitchy as each other! :cry:

Can you think of any other reasons why they may be acting like this?

Or ways to make them feel more secure etc etc?? OH is going to build some ramps/ledges/hidey-holes etc this weekend for them to bolt to but I just feel really awful because this new aviary set up was meant to be a good thing for them but I feel that they're really not liking it!!
:cry:
Sorry for the ramble!!
Thanks, Jo x

Maybe the larger space is freaking them out a bit?

Other than extra hidey holes that you mentioned, I can't think of anything else, sorry.

Are they sill as skittish?

Yeah I wondered if it was the space ..... in actual floor space its only changed from 5ft x 12ft to 6ft x 15ft so not that much but head space has doubled!

Dizzi is kind tip-toeing everywhere and the slightest noise, they're both terrified! They've also taken to pooping all over the run and all round the litter tray! :?

Try putting in some boxes/tunnels etc that they can get between quickly so that feel a bit more secure.

My boys were the opposite - they loved the higher roof and Dan and Blackie actually tried climbing the netting to get up even higher :roll:

They sound like some of my buns. My run is only 9 x 5, but about 6 foot high, and I've had some buns in it who are pretty scared the first few times. any noise would send them rushing away. They are used to it now though.

None of my buns use the litter tray in their runs, they just spread poop everywhere :roll:

It helped mine when I put a hutch in that they can hide under, but I see you have that. They also like to hide in a carry case, that I managed to get under the hutch.

Thanks for your replies ........ hopefully when OH has put his DIY skills to use yet again this weekend, they'll feel a bit better.

Good idea about putting tunnels/hideyholes/boxes close to each other then they can quickly get to cover rather than have to run across the aviary!

He's building me a seat to put in there but blocking the sides and back legs in, so they'll be able to use that .... they have a tunnel already but he's going to build them a proper wooden one and also some open air and covered ramps and ledges to sit on/hide under.

I'm really hoping that will help and that they'll get used to the noise/space soon! x

Hope they settle soon. :wave: Tunnels and boxes should go down well. Spenser doesn't have an aviary, but put him in his run and he frequently spends a fair bit of time cacooned in his tunnel or, even better, his favourite cardboard box. It must be the burrow instinct.

Thanks.

They've currently got one of those nylon tunnels which I've tied to the mesh on the aviary so it doesn't blow all over the place but they don't really use it much ..... they also have cardboard boxes with hay in but they don't seem to go in them either - they prefer to tip them over, eat them and drag them around ....

They also have a solid door on their hutch they could hide behind and a bedroom compartment but don't hide in there either! Its all very bizarre behaviour .... they sit out in the run all night too!

Its like they want to be out there but at the same time are frightened to be!!

Hopefully they'll actually use the new stuff that Hubby makes for them and will settle in soon!

I really thought they'd go in there and be binky-mad from all the space (especially after being indoors for a week in a 4x4 pen with a bit of free range time in the evenings)!! but they just seem really freaked!

xx

I think that yes 6ft tall runs/aviarys do make rabbits feel a lot less secure. I regret making a fully height aviary, I think 3ft high is better for rabbits.

Do they have something to hide under whilst they are in the run? I give mine a platform although it only helps a little because it's still fairly exposed.

Thanks - Yeah they have a tunnel and some cardboard boxes and under the hutch ........ OH is going to make some platforms and proper wooden tunnels/ boxes etc this weekend.

I did think the height may be a problem ... they've been used to a 3ft high run and half of that was covered with a tarp so they probably felt very secure in there.

I'll make sure Hubby makes lots of things for them to feel much less exposed, places they can snuggle in and feel secure!

Spenser seems to like his cardboard boxes best with a hole cut in them. Did you try that? It means that he can make a quick getaway if I try to pick him up! :lol: He also likes his carry-box to be in the run. This is especially useful if it is very windy and the cardboard boxes would blow over. I take the door off the carrier for this, as if it swings shut he isn't clever enough to open it if he wants to go in. :lol:

Spenser seems to like his cardboard boxes best with a hole cut in them. Did you try that? It means that he can make a quick getaway if I try to pick him up! :lol: He also likes his carry-box to be in the run. This is especially useful if it is very windy and the cardboard boxes would blow over. I take the door off the carrier for this, as if it swings shut he isn't clever enough to open it if he wants to go in. :lol:

Hiya

Thanks for your reply - Yeah they have cardboard boxes with holes in them ....they spend most of their time trying to tip them over!!! lol ..... I think I'll try the carrier idea as well tho!

Funnily enough - and I'm almost scared to type this in case it jinxes it - but they seemed a lot more settled last night when I got home. They were bouncing round like they were actually enjoying themselves for the first time!! They weren't just sat huddled up or tip-toeing around or hiding!!

Same this morning, they've been running round and binkying - I can't tell you how relieved I feel ... maybe finally they're getting used to it!! They've even been going in their hutch more .... they have 2 ramps in there and they've figured out they can go flying up one then fly down the other and bounce round the aviary!!

Its almost as if they've realised that its theres, its safe and nobody's going to move them again! I mean they went from their old run/hutch - into the living room for a week for bonding then back out into a 'new' set up, they're bound to wonder if they're staying or being moved again!

I'll still put the carrier in, that's a really good idea and am off shopping today to get a digging box, play sand and a few other bits too!

Agree with everyone else, they don't like change.

When I put my 3 in their new kennel, Homey just came and jumped on my knee for a cuddle :love::love::love: They just need to feel secure, he is fine now and doesn't bother jumping on my knee so quick :roll:

You have some good suggestions to help make them feel safer.

Our buns didn't notice any difference when we added additional aviary panels to turn the 3ft high run into 6ft height. I'd be weary of adding too many bolt holes as whatever is upsetting them could mean they hide all the time. :( could you add some umbrellas or parasols-kids size to give the effect of a lower ceiling/covered hiding place? May be the weather is playing it's part, if they were in bonding and they missed being out for the turn from summer to autumn?

Back