• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please

Suzy B

Young Bun
Emily is a 6 1/2 year old dwarf lop. She has always had hard sleep in her eye and it runs an odd time so thats why she is a house bunny (my excuse anyway). we flooded in 2007 & Emily spent 6 months outside & she had runny eyes and she is much better in side, She has always been a bit of a head shaker too. Twice a year when she has her mixi jabs I ask the vet to check her eyes and ears. She has had canaural for wax in the past and she has had tiacil as she has little cysts under her eye lids. When I took her to the vets beginning of september she could not have her mixi jab. She had scabs round her mouth which I bathed off but they came back. The vet did not tell me what she thought it could be but basically said her immune system was compromised. Emily had some Baytril and the vet took the scabs off emily's mouth and she also had canaural for wax. Whilst giving Emily her treatment her eyes began to run so I rang the vet and was told that it was noted she had a bit of conjunctivitis and I was to collect some tiacil. Her eyes looked more sore at first when I started to use the Tiacil. About 5 days later I was cleaning Emily's ears I noticed some of the wax was pale in colour like discharge. I told the vet on Emily's 2nd visit but the vet said she could see nothing as I had cleaned it away. I pointed out to the vet that her breathing was loud and was it the eye and ear treatment blocking her canals. The vet said her lungs were ok and put some florescent drops in her eyes to check her passages and said they were fine.After a few weeks of using all the treatments and the greasy canaural had gone she was back to her fluffy self. About 10 days later I noticed wax and whiter wax or discharge again so I rang the vet again rahter than take her in as she gets stressed. I was told to use canaural again for 2 weeks. Emily's eye is running again. I think it is the canaural thats making her eyes run. I don't know whether to take her back to the vets again. In herself she is her usual self, dashing around and very greedy. I'm watching her carefully as I thought loosing Bobby last week would alter her behaviour.Sorry for the long explanation. I never get real answers from the vets although they are caring. Sorry I can't post any pictures I don't seem to have access. I've only managed an avatar of Bobby.

Is your vet rabbit savvy? Personally I would put a thread in Rabbit Chat asking for a rabbit savvy vet in your area:) Good luck.

She had her teeth checked last time and I was told there was a spur on her back tooth that may need to be attended to in the furture which is a worry and I was quite suprised as Emily has lots of dry grass throughout the day and grass outside if she wants it. She loves apple sticks when they are available. I use both our local vets but I will put up another thread for that thanks.

Back