PDA

View Full Version : Keeping buns cool in hot weather

pigsforlife
01-10-2010, 09:40 AM
What do you do?

This will be our first full blown summer with the buns. It is already starting to heat up, and they are already getting lazier :roll: . This is what I currently do for the guinea pigs;
- Frozen water bottles
- Fan to circulate air
- Air con on when home

Any other ideas?

NLENG2000
01-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Tiles for them to lay on perhaps as they tend to be cooler than carpet/wood floring. And perhaps a water bowl rather than a bottle as buns tend to drink more in heat. Other than that you seem to have it covered! :)

GrahamL
01-10-2010, 10:11 AM
2 litre bottle of coke, drink the coke, fill it with water, freeze it. Lasts a day.

I keep two to alternate :)

Carrie14
01-10-2010, 10:14 AM
:lol: What country are you in? Its freezing here:lol:

All the stuff you do for the g.pigs sounds right. I also wet their ears with a damp flannel if they are looking particularly hot/lazy.

I guess the laziness is just their way of not over heating. They should move about more when it is cooler at night:)

pigsforlife
01-10-2010, 10:27 AM
:lol: What country are you in? Its freezing here:lol:

Australia :D

Gray - I have a whole stock pile of water bottles that I freeze, except my biggest is only 1.25L I think. I might get a couple of 2L ones - especially for the buns as they are bigger than the guinea pigs. :)

NLENG2000 - I hadn't thought of tiles, thanks for the idea :)

Elena
01-10-2010, 05:04 PM
The ice pods are quite good cos they don't take up masses of room in the freezer. (We have a small freezer. :oops:)

pigsforlife
02-10-2010, 10:08 AM
The ice pods are quite good cos they don't take up masses of room in the freezer. (We have a small freezer. :oops:)

We have devoted a whole drawer in the freezer to piggy/bun frozen bottles!! I have been building up my stash for a couple of years now. :D

Elena
02-10-2010, 05:06 PM
We have devoted a whole drawer in the freezer to piggy/bun frozen bottles!! I have been building up my stash for a couple of years now. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

We just don't have the room. We freeze a lot of stuff from the garden/allotment.

susie bun
02-10-2010, 06:09 PM
I can't better what has already been suggested. :wave: Spenser was a very dozy boy during the summer - but he does have quite long fur, and he didn't start to moult until September. :roll:I don't work in the summer, so spent rather a lot of time worrying about him.:oops: I tried the water bottle wrapped in a towel idea, but he just moved away!:roll: He did do the most fantastic binkies though, when it cooled down in the evening.