• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping buns cool in hot weather

pigsforlife

Mama Doe
What do you do?

This will be our first full blown summer with the buns. It is already starting to heat up, and they are already getting lazier :roll: . This is what I currently do for the guinea pigs;
- Frozen water bottles
- Fan to circulate air
- Air con on when home

Any other ideas?

Tiles for them to lay on perhaps as they tend to be cooler than carpet/wood floring. And perhaps a water bowl rather than a bottle as buns tend to drink more in heat. Other than that you seem to have it covered! :)

2 litre bottle of coke, drink the coke, fill it with water, freeze it. Lasts a day.

I keep two to alternate :)

:lol: What country are you in? Its freezing here:lol:

All the stuff you do for the g.pigs sounds right. I also wet their ears with a damp flannel if they are looking particularly hot/lazy.

I guess the laziness is just their way of not over heating. They should move about more when it is cooler at night:)

:lol: What country are you in? Its freezing here:lol:

Australia :D

Gray - I have a whole stock pile of water bottles that I freeze, except my biggest is only 1.25L I think. I might get a couple of 2L ones - especially for the buns as they are bigger than the guinea pigs. :)

NLENG2000 - I hadn't thought of tiles, thanks for the idea :)

The ice pods are quite good cos they don't take up masses of room in the freezer. (We have a small freezer. :oops:)

The ice pods are quite good cos they don't take up masses of room in the freezer. (We have a small freezer. :oops:)

We have devoted a whole drawer in the freezer to piggy/bun frozen bottles!! I have been building up my stash for a couple of years now. :D

We have devoted a whole drawer in the freezer to piggy/bun frozen bottles!! I have been building up my stash for a couple of years now. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

We just don't have the room. We freeze a lot of stuff from the garden/allotment.

I can't better what has already been suggested. :wave: Spenser was a very dozy boy during the summer - but he does have quite long fur, and he didn't start to moult until September. :roll:I don't work in the summer, so spent rather a lot of time worrying about him.:oops: I tried the water bottle wrapped in a towel idea, but he just moved away!:roll: He did do the most fantastic binkies though, when it cooled down in the evening.

Back