• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

P@H adoption

Rachel89

Mama Doe
Gah someone hit me over tyhe head with something large please.

Went to visit my brother yesterday as hes leaving for uni sunday (in other words I was alcohol donator :lol:) anyhow driving through an industrial estate near his and spot P@H, now its only new wasn't there before so took a nosey. They said they actually officially open today but opened for a few hours yesterday.
I looked at all the baby bunnehs :cry: Then went to the adoption section and there was a black and chocolate dutch :shock:
Both there fur and skin was really flaky/patchy and runny eyes (but had no hay in there). There not old so guessing old stock from another branch.

I always said I'd rescue my next but do people class P@H as actually rescueing from the adoption bit or not.

Gahhh my heads spinning round and round

Hello :wave:

I got my little girl Phoebe An from a p@h adoption bit (she's a chocolate Dutch :lol:) I don't think it matters whether or not people regard it as a 'proper' rescue or not - the way I see it, you are giving an unwanted animal a second chance. I don't like p@h but didn't let that stop me from giving a bun a lovely home...you have to do what you think is right :) If you do get the buns, be sure to ask lots of questions - when I got my girlie I asked loads of questions about what she had eaten etc. & was told she was a good hay eater etc. it turns out she had spurred molars & hadn't eaten properly for days :censored: p@h wouldn't accept any liability despite signing her off as 'free from any infirmity or deformity' so I was left to pay the bill - bear in mind they may have underlying health problems - I got the impression that once you take a rescue bun from them, p@h wash their hands of it whereas an actual rescue would proably do their best to help.

I hope these bunnies have a change of luck & go home with you - keep us posted on what you decide to do :wave:

:wave:Then might I respectfully suggest that you take a look at the following thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=94160

I do not know where the particular P@H to which you refer is located. However it will have a Pet Shop Licence from its local Council.

The "fur and skin was really flaky/patchy" and "runny eyes" and "no hay in there" are all issues that are addressed in the Conditions of the Pet Shop Licence.

P@H have a legal obligation to comply with all of the Conditions for all of the animals in their store.

You might wish to consider contacting the Council regarding this in the manner set out in the thread.

In addition, in another thread, there are details regarding the P@H Head of Pets, who made a number of claims about P@H's animal care aspects.

Hope this helps.

I would consider adoption from Pets at Home to be rescuing.

Any money you give for the rabbits doesn't go into Pets at Home profits, it goes into a pot to be divided amongst worthy animal related causes.

I would definitely get Pets at Home to pay any vets fees for them though

We got our Joe from p@h adoption, and I'm so glad we did because he's the loveliest bunny ever, I love him to bits and the thought that someone else who didn't look after him as well may have got him makes me shudder. I have mixed feelings about p@h but I don't regret for one minute adopting from there at all

Max and Jemimah were from Pets at Home adoption. Jemimah was dumped outside the store in a cardboard box and Max was covered in gashes and abscesses from where he'd been attacked by a dog and then dumped at pets at home by his previous owners, Max was 9months and Jemimah 5 months.

I would call it rescuing.

I have heard of stories from here that sometimes the buns in the adoption section are just buns they couldn't get rid of. I would be very concerned about supporting the breeding of rabbits -- and possibly by taking this bun, although you help this particular bun, you free up space for another bun. This creates demand, so more buns are bred...and buns sitting in a shelter lose a home.

I never go into petstores because I know I will just get suckered in. Rescues all the way IMO.

I think it does count as a rescue, but If I ever had a pet from them again (which is highly unlikely) I'd make sure it was a genuine rescue case ie - someone had taken the animal to be rehomed. If it said "I was originally for sale but no-one wanted to buy me" then no I wouldn't as that to me is nothing but a con. My last P@H adoption bun was Moo, who had to go to the vet on the way home as the store had denied her treatment and were going to PTS. True story.

I think it does count as a rescue, but If I ever had a pet from them again (which is highly unlikely) I'd make sure it was a genuine rescue case ie - someone had taken the animal to be rehomed. If it said "I was originally for sale but no-one wanted to buy me" then no I wouldn't as that to me is nothing but a con. My last P@H adoption bun was Moo, who had to go to the vet on the way home as the store had denied her treatment and were going to PTS. True story.

^^ This is what I was trying to say :)

My brothers going to go down for me and ask some questions about the two in the adoption area, and ask about there skin/fur and eyes. Then may go down tomorrow if there still there.
There not young but there probably less then a year I would say.
Sigh next to them said that the owner could no longer care for them due to increasing working hours and lack of knowledge :?

My brothers going to go down for me and ask some questions about the two in the adoption area, and ask about there skin/fur and eyes. Then may go down tomorrow if there still there.
There not young but there probably less then a year I would say.
Sigh next to them said that the owner could no longer care for them due to increasing working hours and lack of knowledge :?

The "lack of knowledge" problem existed before the owner even acquired the buns and could have been corrected by some prior research.:?

The "increasing working hours" excuse might well be a problem, but did they really "increase" to a level that left "no time" for the buns?:roll:

I suppose that sending them to P@H Adoption could be viewed as one of the "least worse" options. Particularly when compared with the "set them free" and "bucket of water" options so often used by people wishing to dispose of buns.:evil:

At least the P@H option would salve the conscience of the "disposer" to some extent.:evil:

I don't know the "actual" circumstances, so please forgive my cynicism.:oops:

I went down and ended up brining the little black home, the chocolate had gone.

He was handed in at the chatham branch but noone had adopted him so he came to this one to try here.
Owner bought him from a breeder and knew nothing about them. Hes teeth are good, so are his ears just very flaky skin and possible mites. Booked him in for checkup on monday.
Reason he couldn't be rehomed was because he was very nervous and agressive :roll: all he needs is his plums off and not to be gawped at.
I have an email address and number for his previous owner as she wanted to stay in contact :?

Commented on hay and when we were going they had been given hay. Overheard one of the assistants chatting to a couple and advising them against rabbits for there daughter giving tonnes of advice on them and health, living accomodation,neutering etc.

Last edited:
I consider P@H adoption as rescuing. We got Mia and then Ashley and Una rats from there. In fact because they were old and Mia obviously had mites, which the assistant wouldn't acknowledge, I felt more inclined to take them than if they had been in a well run rescue that knew what they were talking about and did home checks. I would rescue from places like that too, but feel justified taking on the 3 girls.

Back