• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another REW Nethie Needs Your Positive Thoughts

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Well now that Cecily is home safe, I thought I'd be greedy and ask for some more positive thoughts please for another very special little man.

This is Salt (who lives with his wife Pepper). They actually have a new home lined up but I need to get Salt better before he can go.

He was recently diagnosed with a heart eurythmia but also has severe dental worries (usual squashed face/pure bred nethie issue) and has had three conscious shapings siince he came to us. We've tried so hard to get his teeth to correct but now the incisors need to be removed. He is loosing weight but can't be 'fed up' because he just ends up with a mucky behind. He is eating less hay than before so we know we have to take more action.

Needless to say with his heart issue, he is at more risk from the procedure.

I know he's in the best hands but will still be worrying about him.

Two of our teeny buns in two days.
ResizedSalt.jpg

ResizedSalt2.jpg

Last edited:
My name's Salt too and I'm 'avin one o' them dentul fings tomoro as well I finks. My moufs hurts and mummy's worried about me.
I liv wiv my bruver Pepper who's lookin afta me at the moment.
Us REWs are tuff stuff tho, so hopes you do ok too.

IMG00324-20100814-1211.jpg

My name's Salt too and I'm 'avin one o' them dentul fings tomoro as well I finks. My moufs hurts and mummy's worried about me.
I liv wiv my bruver Pepper who's lookin afta me at the moment.
Us REWs are tuff stuff tho, so hopes you do ok too.

IMG00324-20100814-1211.jpg

That's all a bit spooky isn't it Helen?

Maybe they are cosmic twins.

I'll be thinking of you and Salt (and Pepper) tomorrow.

He's adorable!

I saw your post on FB and thought - how does she know?! :lol:
Vibes all round for the 2 beautiful Salts!

Morning all.

Thank you for your good wishes.

Salt and Pepper are up at the vets and so far it's a quiet day for ops so hopefully he'll be done early and we'll know sooner about how well he's done.

He's bright and breezy as he normally is so again the nethie spirit will surely help, but in this case it's whether his little heart will be affected too badly by the GA. He has a very slow heartbeat that speeds up for a few beats and then back to very slow. He gets very tired after a little bit of exertion. I understand that this is not always good for GA use.

Still, once again, I know that if he can be fixed, then he's in the hands of someone who can.

Vibes for Helen S's Salt too. We need really good results for both today :D

Well, our salt is fine, vet not too worried about his teeth, more concerned about his tummy.
How's your Salt?

Well the news from here is that it was impossible to intubate Salt so use of Ivan's V - Gel anaesthetic mask wasn't possible and GA without it for Salt would be quite tricky/dangerous so the incisor removal was not carried out. The mask keeps the airway open during GA to enable breathing assistance for the animal should it be necessary, so for our little man this might have been crucial. This particular masked is shaped specifically for rabbits to prevent it from turning during the procedure and this prevents damage to the airway. Ivan has had a much smaller version made for animals of this size (about 800g) but he was to tiny for it to fit.

We've had to go for yet another reshape but with the added molar work to try and get him a bit further along this time before we are faced with the same problem again.

Poor Salt.

Last edited:
Back