• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

''Advertising'' for rescues.

Autumn

Warren Scout
Would this be a help because of increasing the publics awareness that rescues were out there to rehome from? Or would they just make people more aware of where to 'dump' their unwanted rabbits?

I'm just wondering, as it is only through this forum that i have even HEARD of any of the rabbit rescues. Is this down to lack of funding to advertise, or is the lack of advertising intentional to avoid doorstep drop offs?

It is indeed a double edged sword - you need to advertise to a certain extent to let people know you're out there, but at the same time you take the risk of people dumping animals on your doorstep.

We don't advertise as such, but have a web page and facebook, and try and get in the local paper every so often.

I think they could do more to promote themselves through forums like this, they don't have to give out an address- just a general area. Not that its much use posting it on here were it will only be seen by people who are already doing just that...

but it is a fact of life now that most people will either go straight to a petshop or look online to see were to get a bun from, so thats where they should be advertising.

I think it would be great if there could be partnerships between petshops who sell minimum size plus hutches and rescues for getting rabbits, rather than them carrying livestock. Even if it was petshop/rescue/responsible breeder partnership it would be a big help!

i agree that it would be a bit of a double edged sword but if set up properly and for long enough it might encourage people to get their pets from rescue in the first place and less likely to go to pet shops. maybe.
i was pleasantly surprised by my local pets at home, they have a sign up for the woodgreen animal shelter in their adoption corner, which i was quite impressed by, even if they do have too many bunnies in their stock, but at least they mention the rescue centre to people and stuff.

We are only known through our website which has no obvious address on it, on here and obviously our vets. No-one locally really knows we exist, specifically so we don't get bunnies dumped here.

My friends rescue (where I learned about the need for them) is constantly getting bunnies dumped on her doorstep although she isn't actively admitting currently (we are working together) and this is because she is well known in the area.

I on the other hand do not give out my address and only let people come to visit when I know more about them.

We keep it small and rehome via word of mouth and RabbitRehome. I don't have a web site, but do have a Facebook page.

This works for me. I can't afford to grow any bigger - either financially or space/time wise so advertising wouldn't help me at all. I am happy doing my little bit and would rather spend my time on the education and spreading the word rather than being spread too thin by having too many bunnies here to cope with. If I got more enquries I wouldn't be able to handle them anyway.

I guess for bigger rescues it might be useful.

I think that the actual notion of rabbit rescues should be promoted more, rather than the actual particular rescues themselves.

Another thing I think would be good to press is that people should be doing a lot of research before they get an animal. I can't remember the last time I used one source of info to research a particular animal before bringing it home. Even some of the books I've read have had rather questionable care advice in them. It was by doing this I found this forum and found out about rabbit rescues.

Of course even with all the info sources that are available people will pick and choose which ones to go with based on what they want to be the case.

Definately agree with the idea of there being dedicated rabbit rescues in the UK being advertised rather than the rescues themselves. Thing is the likes of P@H aren't going to be big on advertising this and I expect millions go to stores like these for information.

The trouble is that TV advertising runs into thousands (without even factoring in the cost of hiring film crew, etc), and national newspaper advertising isn't far behind...so big businesses like Pets at Home are always going to win the media battle

Would this be a help because of increasing the publics awareness that rescues were out there to rehome from? Or would they just make people more aware of where to 'dump' their unwanted rabbits?

I'm just wondering, as it is only through this forum that i have even HEARD of any of the rabbit rescues. Is this down to lack of funding to advertise, or is the lack of advertising intentional to avoid doorstep drop offs?

Would you believe I never knew anything about Rabbit Rescues until I joined this forum:oops: and I am sure there are lots of people like me. I don't know if it would help to advertise or not because I wonder whether it would make it just too easy to dump unwanted bunnies. On the other hand at least the buns would end up in good hands and maybe there would be less dumping just anywhere, neglect or worse:cry:

Back