• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Too young to bond?

weedug

Mama Doe
Floppy is a 6 month old neutered male who I am thinking of bonding with a 14 week old female.

They have been together a lot of the day and there was a lot of grooming and cuddling (and a little humping :oops:).

Should I bond them now, or wait until the female has been spayed, another 2-3 months?

If I wait and just let them play together, do they need to be in a confined space each time, or can they just play in the house, under supervision of course.

Last year I was in the same position. Peter who is 3 was neutered but Posy was only 15 weeks and too young to spay. They bonded very easily and were very much in love. Then Posy's hormones kicked in and they had a fight. I had to seperate them until she had been spayed and recovered before they could be rebonded. They rebonded fine and are still very happy a year later.

I guess what I am saying is that it is a risk to bond pre spay. It might work fine and you might have no problems but it might not.

my doc was around 12 months neutered beth met doc when she was 12 weeks

the day before her spay she got frisky :lol: they are my most loved up pair they even went together for her spay never been apart

:wave:

Ive bonded my neutered 1 year old buck twice with 10 week old does. My first passed away unfortunately but Rodge is now happily settled with Orla. :D

I know its a risk bonding them before she is spayed but Rodge was desperate for company. Hopefully itll all be ok but ill cross that bridge when it comes to it.

I was told NOT to bond a young rabbit with an older one as the adult would kill the baby.......bit extreme advice. I went with my gut instinct & knew Rodge was was too good natured to attack. :D

I've bonded lots of young unspayed does with neutered males. The best advice I can give you is that you need to make sure she is spayed as soon as possible before she gets hormonal as it could upset the bond. My males are very laid back and didn't mind the odd pester in the shortterm but anything more than that and they would of soon got fed up.

Thanks everyone :wave:.

I have separated them for tonight, and might let them play together for a little while each day for a few days.

Floppy needs a couple of more days to get back to normal after his bloat, but he is desperate for someone to groom him. Little Blossom finally got the hint today and gave him a short groom.

Blossom is tiny so I don't know when my vet would spay her.

Well my opion is to leave them together .I Think Floppy will be ok with her and I have a male and female here what the female cant be spayed for health reason and there the most loved up couple of all mine.

Also its about time your did some bonding women

I've bonded unspayed does with neutered males, & all is well so far, they are off for their spay in the next few weeks :D

I've bonded lots of young unspayed does with neutered males. The best advice I can give you is that you need to make sure she is spayed as soon as possible before she gets hormonal as it could upset the bond. My males are very laid back and didn't mind the odd pester in the shortterm but anything more than that and they would of soon got fed up.

:thumb:

Back