• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive drinking? should i be going back to the vets?

I know some bunnys just drink a lot of water and some, not so much. My 2 nethies have 2 500ml bottles in their hutch but they have a tendency to just stick to one of them.

Neither have ever drank a lot and they would drink one bottle in about 5-7 days. This seems like hardly anything to me, but that has always been the norm for them.

I have noticed over the last week or so that they are finishing a bottle in a day or 2. They had a fresh bottle this morning and when i got home at 1pm, it was empty. I know some rabbits just drink more than others and that this might be normal for some, but it seems excessive for my 2. Should i be worried?

Last edited:
Hope someone can help!
I've been thru 4 water bottles since June and have just fetched another today because the damn things keeps leaking all the time from that ballbearing thing!

Hope someone can help!
I've been thru 4 water bottles since June and have just fetched another today because the damn things keeps leaking all the time from that ballbearing thing!

Well i did wonder if one was leaking or something, but i check them regularly. I did drop one and damage the spout so it got demoted to emergency spare.

I have actually seen them drinking from them. I think its Dolly thats drinking it all, so im worried theres something wrong. Kidneys, teeth?

Average water consumption should be 50-100ml/kg/day

Have you checked that the water bottle is not leaking ?

Well they weigh about 2kg each, so what they were drinking before sounds about right.

Last edited:
There are numerous health issues that can cause excessive drinking, including Kidney problems, Liver problems, a UTI, Dental problems, hunger

So I would get your Vet to check them over.

There are numerous health issues that can cause excessive drinking, including Kidney problems, Liver problems, a UTI, Dental problems, hunger

So I would get your Vet to check them over.

Ok, thanks Jane :) ... what would this forum do without you!? :love: ;)

They are due back after finishing their depocillin, ill see if i can get an appointment for in the morning :)

Average water consumption should be 50-100ml/kg/day

Have you checked that the water bottle is not leaking ?

Its been 2 weeks since they finished the course of depocillin and just over a week since we were at the vets. I have kept an eye on how much they are drinking. I still think that they are consuming more than they usually would, but as i initally thought, its Dolly who is actually drinking the extra water.

Ive spent most of the day on the sofa, ill. So the buns have had free range of the front room since 1pm. i have been watching how much they drink and have also measured the amount of water.

Dolly has drank 200ml since 1pm, i have just filled the water bowl up and shes lapping away at it again.

Shes only 2kg in weight, so 200ml may seem about right, but this is her minimum intake as ive only been watching her since 1pm.

Should i be going back to the vets?

ETA: Apart from this, shes absoloutley fine. not off her food, and shes bnkying about like a nut case

Last edited:
Anyone?

I dont want to take her to the vet unless i really need to. Unless i see other worrying signs or symptoms then i dont think ill do anything about it, eventhough it is a bit worrying as shes never been drinking this much in the past.

It would be very helpful if i could have some suggestions as to how to monitor it or what to possible look out for.

For any change in the amount they are eating or drinking I always think it's best to go to the vets. Ruby and Castiel get through at least 1 bottle a day but they've always been this way and have both had health checks so I'm not worried, but if they suddenly started drinking less I would take them to the vets. Better safe than sorry, the signs of illness are so subtle in bunnies :wave::wave:

For any change in the amount they are eating or drinking I always think it's best to go to the vets. Ruby and Castiel get through at least 1 bottle a day but they've always been this way and have both had health checks so I'm not worried, but if they suddenly started drinking less I would take them to the vets. Better safe than sorry, the signs of illness are so subtle in bunnies :wave::wave:

They went to the vets a week ago and i mentioned this at the same time. She told me that it could have been the depocillin and the fact that they havent been on the grass for a week or so (my garden is like a quadmire at the moment!)

But they finished the depocillin 2 weeks ago and its only Dolly thats drinkng the extra, i dont know how excessive 200ml in 4 hours is for a 2kg bunny but its only Dolly. If not been on the grass was to blame, surely Marley would be drinking more too?

They went to the vets a week ago and i mentioned this at the same time. She told me that it could have been the depocillin and the fact that they havent been on the grass for a week or so (my garden is like a quadmire at the moment!)

But they finished the depocillin 2 weeks ago and its only Dolly thats drinkng the extra, i dont know how excessive 200ml in 4 hours is for a 2kg bunny but its only Dolly. If not been on the grass was to blame, surely Marley would be drinking more too?

hmm, you would think so. I mean they would be getting water out of the grass so it might be a factor. Try ringing the vets and explaining?

hmm, you would think so. I mean they would be getting water out of the grass so it might be a factor. Try ringing the vets and explaining?

I think i will, but ive only been there 4 weeks and i think they already think im a bit nutty! :lol:

My friend is a vet nurse there, and she even said "you and your bloomin rabbits" when i called to make an appointment! :oops:

I think i will, but ive only been there 4 weeks and i think they already think im a bit nutty! :lol:

My friend is a vet nurse there, and she even said "you and your bloomin rabbits" when i called to make an appointment! :oops:

:lol::lol::lol: don't worry about it my vet thinks I'm a total nutter too. In fact most people do!

:lol::lol::lol: don't worry about it my vet thinks I'm a total nutter too. In fact most people do!

:lol:

I suppose i should just give them a ring. Ill see how she goes for a few days first incase ive missed anything, im ill so i dont think ill be going anywhere for the next few days.

I hope its nothing serious though and that i am just worrying too much. Poor Dolly, she costs me a fortune this bunny, and i dont even get a cuddle in return :lol:! Marley, god love him causes no trouble, costs next to nothing to keep and is the snugglyest bunny in the world.

Back