• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do any of you take your rabbit on holiday?

basirascal

Mama Doe
Probably a bit of and odd question, but I would be interested to know. Where do you take them? Do you have any problems? Do you manage ok? Does your bun/buns like it?:)

Last edited:
I'd love to but it's not really practical. :( I'd have to fill half the car up with pen panels and boxes and supplies.

I'd love to but it's not really practical. :( I'd have to fill half the car up with pen panels and boxes and supplies.

I see your point:) We only have Basil (and the dogs)so we try to include him in as much as possible. Must admit we have to pack more for him than we do our dogs, but he seems to thoroughly enjoy the adventure.

If you see my Chrismas hols post.... Russell is coming with me for the hols then, so I suppose.. yes! he is coming on holiday with me! Having a right stress about what to do with his cage etc though... what do you do if you take Basil somewhere?

I dont take mine coz they HATE travelling and i think it would stress them out too much.
I know some ppl do though. My vet recently told me that they usually take their buns with them if they go away actually. But now theyve got to know me they want me to look after them instead :D

i do ebony has been on her first camping trip we have a small camper she spent her days in a folding metal run and her nights in the camper she was fine she enjoyed traveling i've also taken previous rabbits away to ireland and also to lots of caravans etc when ever we needed to leave her we put her in the van

I dont take mine coz they HATE travelling and i think it would stress them out too much.
I know some ppl do though. My vet recently told me that they usually take their buns with them if they go away actually. But now theyve got to know me they want me to look after them instead :D

Yeah the travelling is the other issue. Smudge hates travelling and new areas. The lops would be able to cope with it as they take everything in their stride but not the lionheads.

If I had one single bun I would look into it as I wouldn't like to leave them alone for a whole week. But in their pairs they have each other for company. Even if I find it really hard to leave them. :(

I'd love to take mine but they HATE travelling, AND I would have to fill the car up with all their gear AND they are outdoor buns so not sure if they would adapt to being inside, then if it was cold I couldn't put them back outside again etc etc etc:shock:

If you see my Chrismas hols post.... Russell is coming with me for the hols then, so I suppose.. yes! he is coming on holiday with me! Having a right stress about what to do with his cage etc though... what do you do if you take Basil somewhere?

I have the usual carrying cage (but cat size, so he has room to move while we are travelling), but I also bought a fairly large dog cage for his base in the caravan, which we leave there. It's really just for him to sleep in because he free ranges in the caravan, but it's big enough to safely leave him in, with room for him to play if we go out. I also take a bag of hay, straw, litter and food, but I'm planning on leaving most of these with his cage in the caravan, so there is always some there.(to save on luggage:roll:). The first time was the worst, I was in a right stress, but Basil is now about to embark on his third holiday and we are feeling much calmer.:)

i do ebony has been on her first camping trip we have a small camper she spent her days in a folding metal run and her nights in the camper she was fine she enjoyed traveling i've also taken previous rabbits away to ireland and also to lots of caravans etc when ever we needed to leave her we put her in the van

Sounds very much like our set up. Basil is a bit quiet when the car is moving but as soon as we stop for a break, he resumes eating as normal, as if nothing is different. He loves the van, so many different places to explore, but he is quite a bold rabbit nothing seems to phase him that much.:)

I'd love to take mine but they HATE travelling, AND I would have to fill the car up with all their gear AND they are outdoor buns so not sure if they would adapt to being inside, then if it was cold I couldn't put them back outside again etc etc etc:shock:

Again , I take your point about the travelling and outdoor bit. I suppose it's just that we started Basil off really young and it's just part of his life now:)

Sounds very much like our set up. Basil is a bit quiet when the car is moving but as soon as we stop for a break, he resumes eating as normal, as if nothing is different. He loves the van, so many different places to explore, but he is quite a bold rabbit nothing seems to phase him that much.:)

So is Russ, he's almost verging on being a cocky little buggar to be honest so I think he'll take it in his stride too!

You've reminded me about the dog crate, I think there is one at my mums anyway (for the dogs but not used, it had chickens in last time I was there!) going to get on the phone and see if I can steal it for the christmas period, that way I'll only need to sort some sort of run!
Feeling happier about the whole thing now, yay! Thanks x

:wave: Hi

We took our little Nethies to our touring caravan 250 miles away every school hol from Easter to October and they loved it. We had a similar arrangement visa vie dog crate. Be careful not to leave him in the awning during the day - it gets hot and can be invaded by dogs/foxes but you most likely know that already :D.

:wave: Hi

We took our little Nethies to our touring caravan 250 miles away every school hol from Easter to October and they loved it. We had a similar arrangement visa vie dog crate. Be careful not to leave him in the awning during the day - it gets hot and can be invaded by dogs/foxes but you most likely know that already :D.

Yes totally agree, wouldn't let him in the awning at anytime. We go to the forest and I know there are lots of foxes around. Also I never put him on the ground outside because of the possibility of Myxxi or VHD. Have to say though, he seems to enjoy being with us:)

Back