• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A girl on my Facebook has three bunnies ... Worried!

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
Just seen the photos she has put on of the cage ... It's approx 3ft by 1ft double tier. At first she had two male bunnies living in it. :roll:

I've sent her a nice message saying that we buy hay/straw by the bale so if she ever needs a bin bag of the stuff let me know and I can sort her something out. Then went on to mention that if she has two boys she needs to get them neutered asap.

After I sent that message, I went through the photos in more depth I saw she has got a new girl yesterday and she has the doe and bucks in together :shock: I don't know if either are neutered :roll:

I've never really been put in a position like this before but I feel like I've got to say something. I don't really want to jump down her throat either. If anyone has a little script about bunny care that they don't mind sharing I'd really appreciate them posting it on here and I'll just copy and paste that.

I don't think the girl is being intentionally cruel she was always quite nice in school. I suspect it's her being very naive.

Oh dear God!!
Well done for not mouthing off at her, as I'd probably find that hard to resist!

Just seen the photos she has put on of the cage ... It's approx 3ft by 1ft double tier. At first she had two male bunnies living in it. :roll:

I've sent her a nice message saying that we buy hay/straw by the bale so if she ever needs a bin bag of the stuff let me know and I can sort her something out. Then went on to mention that if she has two boys she needs to get them neutered asap.

After I sent that message, I went through the photos in more depth I saw she has got a new girl yesterday and she has the doe and bucks in together :shock: I don't know if either are neutered :roll:

I've never really been put in a position like this before but I feel like I've got to say something. I don't really want to jump down her throat either. If anyone has a little script about bunny care that they don't mind sharing I'd really appreciate them posting it on here and I'll just copy and paste that.

I don't think the girl is being intentionally cruel she was always quite nice in school. I suspect it's her being very naive.

Well done I hope she listens, I have similar situation and not sure what to do.
My Emilly came back from having tea at her friends Monday night and said her friend is getting 2 rabbits :shock:
I said are they going outside and she said yes I said but they haven't even got a garden :cry: they live in a terraced house :cry:
they are lovely people but I know they won't have enough room and no garden, there is barely room for the people when I have been there :cry:

Oh dear God!!
Well done for not mouthing off at her, as I'd probably find that hard to resist!

It was hard but I don't think she'll take any notice if I charge in all guns blazing. I was hoping that she'd reply and be thankful that I was offering her some cheap good quality hay/straw and then I could take it from there with the preaching. Lets hope i can :wave:

To be honest it's only to be expected when some breeders are not recommending a cage over 3ft. I had to collect an 'aggressive' rabbit for rehoming in a small cage. It had only been running around for a few hours here and was really friendly...........A bit of space had completely changed its behaviour.
it is all about education and yes, it's no good ranting about problems, if you stay calm and explain how things should be it gets you further.......Sometimes:wave:

Well good news she replied and I'm sorting her out with some good quality straw, hay and readigrass this weekend. I think they were just on pet shop hay as bedding.

Turns out that the two boys are actually girls. She just gave them boys names before they were sexed. I guess three girls (all sisters apparently) is slightly better. She mentioned something about spaying but wasn't really sure what it was. So I've explained how important it is and said if she'd like she can come round and see my bunny set up.

Fingers crossed if I give gentle advice it may sink in and cause some changes to happen. Lets hope so!

:wave: Good for you :D Well done It's easy to rush in with allsorts of assumptions but you're getting it sorted..........nicely:D
PS Brilliant idea to invite her round Top marks for that :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Situations like these are alwaus so difficult !
Well done though, it sounds like you're going about it in the best way and she is responding :D
I reckon keep going gently as you are and hopefully she'll be keen to make things better for her buns :D

Back