• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone tell me *urgent*

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
A friend has a bunny with a headtilt. The vet has said it is possibly EC now I think they should of been given panacur anyway.

Should they go back and ask for some?
I know this should be in health but Ill get more replies here :wave:

A friend has a bunny with a headtilt. The vet has said it is possibly EC now I think they should of been given panacur anyway.

Should they go back and ask for some?
I know this should be in health but Ill get more replies here :wave:

Sorry about your friends bunny

Was she given lapizole instead? that has the same active ingredient as panacur. They are not prescription only so she can ask at reception for them.

I hope the bunny is ok xx

Unless the bun is going for tests for EC. If you have tests done it has to be done BEFORE you start to panacur.

Aside from that - yes. Any other meds been given?

Has her bun been diagnosed with an ear i fection and given abx? If so this is what happened with my bun, she wasnt treated for EC atall and she recovered well.
So it depends on what diagnostics have been done (bloods, ear swab?) and if there are any other symptoms eg a bun with EC may also have hind leg paralysis :?

personally if they have headtilt I would go for:

panacuur
baytril
metacam

to target both EC and ear infection and the metacam to help with any inflamation. None of those meds will in any way harm the bunny. The tests for EC need to be spaced apart and if already showing such severe signs then personally I wouldn't want to wait.

With head tilt, you really want to start treating straight away, not wait for dignostic test results.

Best combination (IMO) is:

• Fenbendazole (panacur or lapizole)
  • Prochlorperazine (Stemetil)
  • Anti-inflammatory (metacam) or steroid by injection (not orally)
  • Antibiotic...some vets think that a combination of 2 antiobiotics is best, one to kill aerobic bacteria (e.g. baytril) and one to kill anaerobic bacteria (e.g. Zithromax or metronidazole)

It's thought that ear infection is the most common cause of head tilt, so definitely treat for that, even in the absence of symptoms such as pus in the ear canal

With head tilt, you really want to start treating straight away, not wait for dignostic test results.

Best combination (IMO) is:

• Fenbendazole (panacur or lapizole)
  • Prochlorperazine (Stemetil)
  • Anti-inflammatory (metacam) or steroid by injection (not orally)
  • Antibiotic...some vets think that a combination of 2 antiobiotics is best, one to kill aerobic bacteria (e.g. baytril) and one to kill anaerobic bacteria (e.g. Zithromax or metronidazole)

It's thought that ear infection is the most common cause of head tilt, so definitely treat for that, even in the absence of symptoms such as pus in the ear canal

Agreed! Some vets dont think Baytril is strong enough to clear up a stubborn ear infection though, so will use something stronger. If a culture can be done its ideal really.
My vet treated Mimi with Marbocyl after taking a culture from her ear xxx

Back