• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning back legs

Not sure if anyone has read any of my posts before about my newly adopted Frankle. Cut a long story short, he pees EVERYWHERE and I'm trying treatment on him to sort it out.
I am looking to try and clean his back legs and tail area as they are always wet with urine, and he (and now our kirchen!!) smells quite fishy because he leaves little wet paw prints around the room, bless him.

I can't seem to find anywhere that groom rabbits in particular (in Birmingham area), but have seen that at P@H they do small pet wet wipes, which I thought might help take the urine away without getting the fur absolutely soaked. Has anyone used these before?
Can I bathe his legs with a mild solution of baby bath? Was worried this might irritate his skin?

It may be necessary for your Vet to clip away Frankie's fur around his back end whilst he is incontinent.

Then you can bathe the area in warm water and thoroughly dry him afterwards. You'll also need to apply a barrier cream to protect his skin from urine scald.

What treatment is he on for the incontinence ?

What diagnosis has your Vet given ?

It may be necessary for your Vet to clip away Frankie's fur around his back end whilst he is incontinent.

Then you can bathe the area in warm water and thoroughly dry him afterwards. You'll also need to apply a barrier cream to protect his skin from urine scald.

What treatment is he on for the incontinence ?

What diagnosis has your Vet given ?

Vet put him on week course of antibiotic for cystitis which hasnt done anything. He suggested taking him back to do a blood test for EC, however Ive been advised by the people we adopted him from to try a 28 day course of Panacur, which I'm waiting to be delivered.

I feel awful for him because it must not be nice having to walk around with wet legs. Just bought some megazorb to line the cage with, as I was having a tricky time with 1-2 x daily changes of it when I was lining it with newspaper and hay, because the newspaper would literally be soaked.

Trying to litter train him too, which is a bit tricky because of how much he wees - he did about 6 big ones the other night all in areas of the kitchen floor:shock:

Vet put him on week course of antibiotic for cystitis which hasnt done anything. He suggested taking him back to do a blood test for EC, however Ive been advised by the people we adopted him from to try a 28 day course of Panacur, which I'm waiting to be delivered.

I feel awful for him because it must not be nice having to walk around with wet legs. Just bought some megazorb to line the cage with, as I was having a tricky time with 1-2 x daily changes of it when I was lining it with newspaper and hay, because the newspaper would literally be soaked.

Trying to litter train him too, which is a bit tricky because of how much he wees - he did about 6 big ones the other night all in areas of the kitchen floor:shock:

Personally I would take him back to the Vet ASAP. The Panacur wont 'cure' him if his problems are EC related. But IMO it is inappropriate to just guess at a diagnosis and if he were my Rabbit I would prefer him to be reassessed by a Vet and given any necessary diagnostics to try to establish a definitive diagnosis.

I am not saying that a 28 day course of Panacur is inappropriate, but I dont think you can just assume it is EC.

Is he castrated ?

Do you know anything about his past medical history, including his previous diet etc ?

Has he had a blood test to check his Kidney and Liver function ?

Is he losing weight and/or under-weight ?

You might find that lining his cage with vetbed (with towels underneath) stops him standing in his pee and getting wet feet.

I recently bought a 3m roll of good quality vetbed from an Ebay seller for about £27 including postage....so it's not mega expensive.

Frankles medical history includes having his teeth removed due to them over growing and he's also been castrated. I contacted the adoption people and they said there was nothing else and he was fine when he was with them, so advised to try panacur to treat for possible EC before putting him through stress of bloods and stuff at vets. They also suggested the stress if moving to a new home could have lowered his immunity leading to ec.

I tried cleaning his legs today with a very weak solution of baby shampoo and Luke warm water which I rinsed and dried with low setting on hairdryer. He was very good through it, didn't kick up a fuss, but now seems to be a bit low in mood. :-(. I was thinking about putting sudocrem on his leg areas, just incase the shampoo has irritated him a bit, but worried about him licking it off? Anyone know if it's s good or bad idea?

Also, I noticed for the first time since I've had him, that his wee (which was always like water) had a bit of milkiness to it, like a normal buns, and there wasn't as much as he normally does. He's also pooed a fair bit more and normally than usual?!
I'm not assuming I've cured him, just wondered what could have caused this?

Frankles medical history includes having his teeth removed due to them over growing and he's also been castrated. I contacted the adoption people and they said there was nothing else and he was fine when he was with them, so advised to try panacur to treat for possible EC before putting him through stress of bloods and stuff at vets. They also suggested the stress if moving to a new home could have lowered his immunity leading to ec.

I tried cleaning his legs today with a very weak solution of baby shampoo and Luke warm water which I rinsed and dried with low setting on hairdryer. He was very good through it, didn't kick up a fuss, but now seems to be a bit low in mood. :-(. I was thinking about putting sudocrem on his leg areas, just incase the shampoo has irritated him a bit, but worried about him licking it off? Anyone know if it's s good or bad idea?

Also, I noticed for the first time since I've had him, that his wee (which was always like water) had a bit of milkiness to it, like a normal buns, and there wasn't as much as he normally does. He's also pooed a fair bit more and normally than usual?!
I'm not assuming I've cured him, just wondered what could have caused this?

I honestly think this Rabbit needs to be examined by a Vet again. The urinary tract problems may be improving but without a clinical examination it's impossible to tell. If he were mine I'd be taking him back to the Vet ASAP.

Ditto about taking him to a rabbit savvy vet. Incontinence and funny wee could point to something like bladder sludge, which can be very painful.

Just to let you know frankle has recovered from his little off spell. I contacted a vet who had good reviews, as I couldn't take him to surgery. I explained the situation to them and they kindly gave me advise over the phone, and said if he worsened to take him in, but felt he would be ok considering he was still eating.
Yesterday when he just suddenly perked up and the poo has settled. However I'm finding he's legs are still a bit smelly, but don't want to bath him again incase he gets stressed out again!!!

Hi Evieandfrankle :wave: I've just found your thread after doing a search - my bun Minstrel is having exactly the same problems and has just been put on a course of antibiotics this morning although nothing really showed up on urine tests :?

Interesting that your vet mentioned blood tests as mine didn't - have you told them the antibiotics hasn't worked yet?

My vet said a small amount of sudocrem would be ok and to use an antiseptic soap like hibiscrub.

Also I'm about to try puppy training pads in the bottom of the hutch. Have been using towels, but am washing them every day :roll:

Last edited:
The vet suggested the bloods to test for EC, but said they might need to anaesthetise him to do them. I was a bit relluctant about the anaesthetic, because of the stress and so have registered him with another vet who has good reviews. These were the people I spoke to second time round and seem quite trustworthy.
I've found although he's only had a couple of days dosage so far of the panacur, he is weeing less but his legs are still wet as he's now taken to weeing on the kitchen floor so his wee isn't being absorbed!!
I'm going to phone the new vets and ask if they can cut his fur around his legs and bum just so they're not as wet and found a bit of sudocrem seems to have worked!

Anaesthetise to get bloods? That seems a bit extreme :? Trimming Minstrel's fur is a job for tomorrow night.

The puppy pads are brilliant! Absorbed the accidents in the hutch and dry to touch on the surface! Wish I could cover the floor in them, but that would be a bit expensive :lol:

Back