• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calling all Piggy experts - advice please...

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
I have put their C&C pen in my summer house for winter. I have covered one end with a blanket and filled it with straw for night time. Will they be warm enough? Or should I move their outside, heavy wooden hutch into the summerhouse for them (this would be a real hastle as it is soooo heavy, but obviously I'll do it for them if necessary. Other thing is their C&C pen is a bit bigger and brighter for them so I imagine they are happier in it.

Any thoughts would be greatfully appreciated! Thanks :wave:

Oooh - I miSsed this!

Is the summerhouse insulated at all?

I guess a lot depends on how cold it gets over winter too....

Not insulated unfortunately. Don't know what I could do for them. I wonder is there a certain temp that they shouldn't be kept below... I'll ask the piggy people. I could get them, or get your mum to make them, a wooden hutch to fit inside the c&c pen....?? Is that an idea?

Not insulated unfortunately. Don't know what I could do for them. I wonder is there a certain temp that they shouldn't be kept below... I'll ask the piggy people. I could get them, or get your mum to make them, a wooden hutch to fit inside the c&c pen....?? Is that an idea?

Might be an idea!

Haven't seen a pic of your C&C set up.......hint hint

Ok. Just been reading up on piggy people site....

Plan of action will be - two wooden boxes (they aren't keen on sharing) stuffed with hay and extra hay as a floor covering. I'll also cover half the c&c in builders insulation bubble wrap silver stuff and also the water bottle. Seems to be acceptable with the piggy folks.

Ours have the loft of the 10ft playhouse. Their floor is lino, covered in newspaper about 7 sheets deep, then chopped straw, then cocoons with barley straw. We alre use snuggle safe's and hot water bottles wrapped in fleece blankets inside a padded cat tent/bed. I mix boiled water and cold water so their bottles are warm and so they would take longer to freeze. You can buy the foil coated bubble wrap from wickes, its about 7 pounds for several metres on a manageable size roll. :)

Ours have the loft of the 10ft playhouse. Their floor is lino, covered in newspaper about 7 sheets deep, then chopped straw, then cocoons with barley straw. We alre use snuggle safe's and hot water bottles wrapped in fleece blankets inside a padded cat tent/bed. I mix boiled water and cold water so their bottles are warm and so they would take longer to freeze. You can buy the foil coated bubble wrap from wickes, its about 7 pounds for several metres on a manageable size roll. :)

Thanks. I could put snuggle safes in too if they need them.

Ok. Just been reading up on piggy people site....

Plan of action will be - two wooden boxes (they aren't keen on sharing) stuffed with hay and extra hay as a floor covering. I'll also cover half the c&c in builders insulation bubble wrap silver stuff and also the water bottle. Seems to be acceptable with the piggy folks.

This sounds good :wave: what about some paper hamster bedding too? My hammies get reeeeeeally warm in that!

Ok, I have google summer houses. They would get awfully cold in winter wouldn't they? Can you find a place in your house for the piggies to squish in? It is just that guinea pigs can be quite fragile and don't develop the thick winter coat like buns do.

Shredded paper is good, but gets stinky fast! I gave some to the pigs to play in, bad idea! :lol:

My guinea pigs are indoors but with the door shut so that the buns can have free range of my floor without the dogs getting in. As a result, the heater warms up the house - but doesn't heat up my room. We don't get the extremely cold temps that you get in the UK (no snow), but it can get chilly. I have lots of fleecy items, like saks. The pigs love these in winter. I get most of my fleecy stuff from here - http://cozycavy.com/ . It is an American site (so you do have to deal with shipping) but she is well known for making quality products. This place is in the UK - http://www.cavycouture.co.uk/

bensonlola is really badly allergic to the piggies so I don't think she can bring them inside :wave:

Ah that sucks. I didn't realise, sorry.

If it is any help, having the pigs and buns in my room doesnt help my asthma/hayfever/excema. Unfortunately, there is no where else for them to go - and with a asthma preventer and regular creaming I get by. However it isn't for anyone, and I can totally understand that. For me, the worst bit is dealing with hay - so I get the OH to do that. All the dust from the hay is a nightmare.

Would it be possible to have some sort of heater?

When I had the guinea pigs outdoors, I was really worried about them getting cold - so I would cover their hutch with a blanket, and then the entire thing with a really thick foamy fabric (don't know what it is called). It was an AMAZING insulator, and kept it really warm inside. Unfortunately, we always had pigs getting sick (plus I love having them indoors) so they came in.

I will try to come up with some more ideas :D

Back