• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

went to a different P@H today....

esupi

Warren Veteran
......their 'cages' were fab, and the animals all looked very content.

But they had for sale what was described only as a 'large house rabbit' with a warning that it could grow to 5 kg.....it was priced at £99!! I had no idea anyone would pay that much for a bunny! Also - why would it be advertised as a 'house rabbit'??

For some reason there's a misconception that giant rabbits (as this one probably was) should be and are mostly kept as house rabbits.

Of course you can't cram one in a hutch but you can keep them outdoors in a shed set up. I think it just doesn't occur to people that rabbits can be kept in a shed.

My local pets at home do this too.... i think it's because of the housing requirements being so big - and i think it is great that if they insist on selling giants that they are at least taking into account that their hutches etc are not big enough for giants.

......their 'cages' were fab, and the animals all looked very content.

But they had for sale what was described only as a 'large house rabbit' with a warning that it could grow to 5 kg.....it was priced at £99!! I had no idea anyone would pay that much for a bunny! Also - why would it be advertised as a 'house rabbit'??

Maybe they know that they need bigger accommodation than just a regular hutch and that most folks that shop there would walk away if they thought they'd have to invest in a shed or similar? Let's face it with house rabbits the financial commitment for housing isn't as great so people can buy a rabbit and a litter tray and they are 'sorted'. Those of us with house rabbits know that this isn't the case, but for the uninitiated that would make a larger breed more 'dooable'.

they always sell their giants as house rabbits, I think it's because they don't sell hutches large enough for them.

God knows why they charge £99, I suppose they can. People don't know you can get them from a breeder for £30 or even in a rescue.

My local pets at home do this too.... i think it's because of the housing requirements being so big - and i think it is great that if they insist on selling giants that they are at least taking into account that their hutches etc are not big enough for giants.

Yup - agree

Yes I suppose all that makes sense. Although I wouldn't have thought people who were willing to spend £99 buying the rabbit would then baulk at the cost of suitable outdoor accommodation. Probably right that people don't think of sheds though. I was really shocked at the cost!

I agree there ,,,I know paws in edinburgh has problems rehoming larger rabbits I have had two foster here since April and have had no interest in them but hey I annt worried if I tell the truth they are my fav breed of rabbits and I have a soft spot for them. So they can stay here as long term fosters

Yes I suppose all that makes sense. Although I wouldn't have thought people who were willing to spend £99 buying the rabbit would then baulk at the cost of suitable outdoor accommodation. Probably right that people don't think of sheds though. I was really shocked at the cost!

I don't think people think about the cost of suitable accommodation and to be able to whip out a credit card and buy the rabbit won't phase too many. I think it's more about the effort involved in setting up suitable accommodation.

Let's face it, so much is bought on credit that the price tag isn't really a deterrant. but any effort needed might be.

When I last saw a giant bunny in my PAH it was £129. I thought that was what they cost. I'd love one one day but would rescue. The one I saw was nomming on hay and had toys and a reasonable sized enclosure but I still felt sorry for him (or her) all alone. The other buns have company.

Theres one that looks like its got head tilt in the Teesside Park P@H thats been there for about 3 months (unless he's sold in the last 4 days) He's advertised as a house rabbits aswell. Poor bunny. I think its head tilt, one of his ears is completely lopped over on to the wrong side, and he holds his head towards the side his ears are on.

Back