• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you wet hay and dried grass?

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
While I don't think hay is the cause of Ginger's respitory problem, it's certainly making it worse. He seems to be fine with the fresh grass, though that will be losing quality as we get into autumn. It's a bit awkward really - he can't go without hay because of his dental problems (anyway, they need it obviously!) but I don't want to make him poorly feeding it to him.

Do you think it'd help if I wet the hay and readigrass?

Hmm, not sure if you can wet the hay for bunnies. Hopefully someone more clued up on that type of thing will come along soon.

I know that the girl I share with always soaks one of the horses hay because of respiratory problems. Not sure about buns though.

We always soaked the horses hay, but it was then hung out to dry and not fed wet. It was to 'rinse' the dust out..... not sure if the same would apply to rabbits, but don't see why it wouldn't work, as long as it was dried before feeding and never wet damp to go off :?

I don't think it even would need 'drying out' as such, its just to get most of the drips out. Mould can set in very quickly tho with wet hay, if you do that it needs changing every 12 hours or so and would probably be best fed out of a manger so they don't sit on it and get all soggy

Yes, you can rinse it & as rightly said, you have to change it x2 daily in warm weather/indoors. Night temp here is down to 6C so it could go 24hours outside.

Trouble is that rinsing it takes away the flavour & some buns don't like it.
It's worth trying a good damp down with an aerosol spray after teasing it out & tossing it in the air, preferably in a light breeze. (you can't be that far from the coast ;))

I found that farm hay was less dusty than kiln dried hay in plasic bags. Pretty Lupin has some lovely speciality ones from Welsh & Somerset farms in large paper bags.

Was really stumped last winter when Thumps gradually progressed from rarely sneezing to sneezing bouts daily, despite me doing all I could to get the dust out. He refused to eat it, stopped sneezing completely within 2 days, & has never sneezed since.
I stuck my nose into it to test him out. Despite all I'd done to it, it was still very dusty indeed, but they were the real dregs last winter.

I don't know about readigrass either.

Back