• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

x-rays and stasis

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Now I know exactly where I stand on this but am curious of others opinions.

If you have a rabbit with recurrent episodes of stasis do you believe that x-rays would be helpful to diagnose/ rule out a possible underlying problem?

ive always planned to get them if alvin keeps on getting stasis.. but tbh at 5 months between stasis episodes due to diet change alone i honestly think it would be a waste of money to do now...

in February i would of done anything to find out why, glad i didnt put him through the stress of xrays now :D

It seems pretty obvious when you see it written in black and white, but I got more than a little annoyed with my vet this afternoon :roll: Maybe she had her reasons but I certainly didn't understand them :?

ive always planned to get them if alvin keeps on getting stasis.. but tbh at 5 months between stasis episodes due to diet change alone i honestly think it would be a waste of money to do now...

in February i would of done anything to find out why, glad i didnt put him through the stress of xrays now :D

Sorry I should have specified - to be taken while the rabbit is actually having a stasis episode

I think an abdominal U/S would be more helpful than an Xray. Also, most abdominal ultrasounds can be done without the need of sedation.

Our bunny scooter just stopped eating on the weekend due to a blockage. She's much better now but our rabbit savvy vet said that x-rays are unreliable and said if she hadn't gotten better from the meds that an ultrasound was the only way to go. They are incredibly more expensive but he seemed to think that was the only way to really see what was going on. Hope this helps! :love:

Honey had an X-Ray during a stasis episode last October. She had had 3 episodes previous to this I think but none as severe.

It didn't show anything up and I wondered what the point of it was at the time. Surely it'd only show damage to bones rather than soft tissue. Our X-Ray didn't reveal anything the vet didn't already know by feeling the abdomen.

Our bunny scooter just stopped eating on the weekend due to a blockage. She's much better now but our rabbit savvy vet said that x-rays are unreliable and said if she hadn't gotten better from the meds that an ultrasound was the only way to go. They are incredibly more expensive but he seemed to think that was the only way to really see what was going on. Hope this helps! :love:

U/s at our vets is the same price, if not cheaper at our vets :)

We're in Canada and procedures/costs seem to be quite different. It seems that rabbits are a much more common pet in the UK as opposed to here where we're the only people I know that have ever had them!

Different situation I think but when Pye was having a lot of what we thought was episodes of bloat my vet did and xray and found there was no gas, we did find the mysterious lump tho which then took us to FHB who operated and then spotted his swollen pancreas and made an almost diagnosis, without that xray we would stll be completely lost!

Different situation I think but when Pye was having a lot of what we thought was episodes of bloat my vet did and xray and found there was no gas, we did find the mysterious lump tho which then took us to FHB who operated and then spotted his swollen pancreas and made an almost diagnosis, without that xray we would stll be completely lost!

Thats the thing, when you are completely lost and you keep seeing your bunny suffering surely trying something in at least an attempt to find a cause must be better than just treating the symptoms each time :?

I'm with Jack's Jane that ultrasound potentially gives more information, & avoids the need for a GA. What they see is a moving "picture", & take photographs of good views of the abnormality. X-R are always "stills".
However the benefits of ultrasound depend on the vet's training & familiarity with the technique.

Blood glucose can be used to distinguish beween an obstruction & ileus.

Different animal, but when one of my guinea pigs was sickly as a bub - we took her to the emergency after hours vet. She wasn't eating and had symptoms very much like what buns get with statis. They did an x-ray to rule out an intestinal blockage, and during this diagnosed her with bloat. It helped us put together a treatment plan, rather than just treating whatever symptoms she had.

Honey had an X-Ray during a stasis episode last October. She had had 3 episodes previous to this I think but none as severe.

It didn't show anything up and I wondered what the point of it was at the time. Surely it'd only show damage to bones rather than soft tissue. Our X-Ray didn't reveal anything the vet didn't already know by feeling the abdomen.

No, you can see a lot from an x-ray. My bunnies have quite often had x-rays when they are having stasis/bloat episodes and amongst other things you can see gas on the x-ray, one x-ray I had faecal pellets pointed out to me and told that the evidence pointed to sudden stop in eating not slow down due to the size and amount of the pellets.

Artie was suspected of having bladder problems (stasis episode) and it was confirmed and the degree of problem seen on x-ray - his bladder showed as completely white due to the calcification. It could have been missed by a less experienced vet and just treated as a stasis episode with no underlying cause. None of them have ever required sedation/GA for their x-rays.

I'd definitely want x-rays done (or USS if available) for a stasis prone rabbit following my experience.

Back