• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Handmade hutches?

RoopyE

Young Bun
Hi everyone :wave:,
I'm just posting to find out whether anyone knows of anywhere in the South west, mainly the Bristol/Weston area that does handmade hutches.
I bought a hutch/run for Ariel my lionhead when we first got her from a garden centre for £99... it was plently big enough for the summer as she loves spending most of her time outside.
However now winter is approaching I'm looking to get her a hutch/run with a larger hutch space for her, although the place that I bought the first one from does do larger hutches I've found that it is not built very well and also leaks in heavy rain.
I'd like to find somewhere than can make one by hand, one that is more sturdy and possibly even make it to my own instructions..
Any help would be much appreciated!! x

Apparently he no longer operates this business (kernow) though he will still make hutches to your specification if you ask. they are not cheap and you would have to pick it up yourself. He has am phone number which some kind forum member on here put in another thread below this one. (search for Kernow). They are great quality but the site will never be up and running again. :)

Thanks for your suggestions :)
Maizey, I'm not too sure on dimensions for a large lionhead rabbit so will need to find out the best kinda size.

I'd love to find a cheaper option, but from inspecting ones at garden centres and pet shops they just don't seem to be very securely built, I'd like it to last :) But if anyone knows of any businesses that do make good, affordable hutches I'd be interested in having a look :)

Maizey, I'm not too sure on dimensions for a large lionhead rabbit so will need to find out the best kinda size.

I'd love to find a cheaper option, but from inspecting ones at garden centres and pet shops they just don't seem to be very securely built, I'd like it to last :) But if anyone knows of any businesses that do make good, affordable hutches I'd be interested in having a look :)

RWA/RSPCA minimum is 6ftx2ftx2ft, assuming you have an attached run. :)

Have you thought of maybe bonding Ariel with somebun? Rabbits are happiest in pairs, especially outdoors, as they can get lonely and depressed if they live alone.

Last edited:

Andy does fencing for a living and he has made all my summer runs,they are completely fox proof and he will be a lot cheaper than any garden center rubbish.I think we live near you so he will deliver it to you.Have a think about what you want and send him an email:D:D

Apparently he no longer operates this business (kernow) though he will still make hutches to your specification if you ask. they are not cheap and you would have to pick it up yourself. He has am phone number which some kind forum member on here put in another thread below this one. (search for Kernow). They are great quality but the site will never be up and running again. :)

The site won't be coming back up I don't think as the guy is concentrating on other carpentry work, but if you'd like his details then e-mail me on therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk.

I have four of his hutches and love them to bits.

Thanks for all your help, I'm asking around today to see if I can find anyone in the local area that can help me, otherwise I'll be sending an email to your OH Maizey!
Ariel's quite a large bunny so I want her to be able to stretch out properly, also she likes to have some privacy for her toilet, and at the moment is using her sleeping area rather than the other parts of her hutch/run, I've tried using a litter tray but she wont take to it.. Ultimately I'd like enough room in the hutch so that she'll go in another corner.
@Hoppit, I've thought about bonding her with another bun but to be honest we don't have the space or money for another rabbit. Also she is an older rabbit (4/5) and I've only had her since May, she's lived by herself for all these years and I honestly don't think she'd get on well with other rabbits, also due to complications with her health I can't get her spayed, which means she can be somewhat aggressive at time!
Thanks to everyone for their help :)

I might be coming to this thread rather late, but Tickenham Rabbit Centre makes some nice quality hutches, though some on the small size. We had to ask them to make ours specially, as their largest had only 1.5ft height per level - it is 5 x 2 x 2 on each of two levels. It cost around £180. Good felted roof, solid wood, not ply except the floor. It was designed as a hutch over run initially, but we asked them to close in the three bottom edges, and we sit it directly on the floor in the shed.

Back