• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I do :( U/D Going back to his owners

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Nipped in work this morning while I was in town and my friend was asking me about a bunny she's looking after for her bro in law.

• The bunny is still at his house, he didn't ask/let her take it to his
  • The hutch is filthy
  • He told her to feed him/her once every two days
  • He has no hay or even straw
  • She tried to clean the bun out but they hadn't left any sawdust or straw

She says it's awful and she doesn't even know anything about rabbits. Apparently they have a dog but he's been put in kennels :( don't even know how the poor little mite is still alive. She says the hutch isn't a bad size but it's just out and exposed in the garden, and I don't think he has a run.

could you possibly take some hay/straw around for your friend and let her know he/she needs to be fed every day etc?

could you possibly take some hay/straw around for your friend and let her know he/she needs to be fed every day etc?

I've told her to give him loads of hay and feed him every day, she's going to get him some hay today. The problem is her husband is a ****, and I worry that if I get too involved he might get defensive as it is his brother. And I don't want to go round with them cos of her hubby. I'm thinking of bringing her some hay in tomorrow though

report them to the RSPCA

this was my first thought, in fact I think my friend is tempted to, but I don't know where this guy lives and I know she wouldn't give me his address cos she knows I'm a bit of a bunny/animal welfare nut, so she'd know why I'd want it.

And would the RSPCA really do anything :?

Well the RSPCA are useless as far as im concerned, they never did anything about the poor cat i reported, this is a difficult situation, can your friend have a quiet word with the owners and sort of work out whether the bun is actually wanted or not? if he isnt she could offer to have him, if it were me id buy a bale of hay and take it round and say oh i got this for your bun hope you dont mind but a friend said hay is so good for buns i tried it while you were away and he loved it. xx

If your friend is concerned about this bunnys welfare and she doesnt know alot about bunnies but says the conditions are bad - Id say it def. needs some help. Could she not just buy what it needs & take it there & sort it out? So it appears that she has done it off her own back? Then you wont be the mad-bunny person so to speak....
This poor bunny! No hay!? Fed every 2 days?:shock::evil:

Id try the RSPCA if nothing is done & try get the address....or pics...if oyu are able to go there...

If your friend is concerned about this bunnys welfare and she doesnt know alot about bunnies but says the conditions are bad - Id say it def. needs some help. Could she not just buy what it needs & take it there & sort it out? So it appears that she has done it off her own back? Then you wont be the mad-bunny person so to speak....
This poor bunny! No hay!? Fed every 2 days?:shock::evil:

Id try the RSPCA if nothing is done & try get the address....or pics...if oyu are able to go there...

I know, I'm going to talk to her again today, I told her to give him lots of hay, because I think if nothing else and he's only getting a bit of muesli thrown at him every couple of days, at least the hay will keep him going. I was going to tell her about veg but I thought that might do more harm than good.

My friend is definitely concerned and seems willing to go and buy the stuff so it's a start.

I had a word with my friend today, and I'm going to lend her a hutch and they're bringing the rabbit to theirs. I'm going to print them out some RWAF leaflets, and her hubby is going to give his brother a right b******ing. I'm glad that her husband is also peed off, as it means things might change for the poor little bunny.

I'm printing out the Bunny MOT, SECS guide, food guide, vaccination guide, info about flystrike - can you think of anything else I might need?

Living requirements like hutch size and exercise time?

That's in the SECS one - space and exercise, companionship and stimulation

I haven't printed one about neutering because I'd worry about the aftercare, and nothing about needing another bunny as I don't want to encourage him to get another one

ETA - I have a nasty feeling that the 'feed every two days' is breeder advice - it certainly sounds like it :?

I missed this thread before. It's so sad when you know a bunny isn't being properly cared for and you can't really do anything about it. :(

Back