• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does your bunny understand the word NO

basirascal

Mama Doe
:lol::lol::lol:

I am trying to teach Basil, with very minimal success:roll:. Have you succeeded? If so, how did you do it?

They understand it but ignore it anyway. They stop what they're doing for about two seconds then start again :roll:

At times, he does, yes, but only when he 'wants' to understand it.

He's just learn't that tapping the pocket of my trousers and saying "Come Biscuit" means he has to follow me and he does it 7 out of 10 times i ask now :)

My Timmy understands No and nearly always responds to it. I taught him it by saying NO in a very distinctive tone and putting my finger on the bridge of his nose (a sign of dominance) whenever he did something wrong.
Now i just say no always in the distinct warning tone and he stops what hes doing and looks at me asif to say 'what i wasnt doin nuffin!) :lol:
I'll be teaching my new boy Max in the same way xxx

Well when my O/H aka Lola's daddy tells Lola 'No', she runs over to him bites his toes, then goes back to being naughty. :D:lol::lol:

Nope, but they do understand 'Oi!' which is the equivalent of 'no' in our house :lol:

(Although sometimes they obey and hop away, and sometimes they look at me and resume what they were doing anyway :roll:)

I think my boys understand, but ignore :lol:

But the other day Dan had managed to push the gate to his pen open, and was just about to hop put into the garden. I said 'no' and he stopped and waited for me to shut the gate again.

I like to think he was being a good boy.....but I think it's more likely he just wasn't bothered about going out :lol:

I'm sure they understand some things I say .... but no isn't one of them ......... 'nana is tho!! :lol:

Well.....like lots of you Basil seems to understand, stops for a few seconds, then usually chooses to ignore. I might try Gemmapookie's method and reinforce with a finger on the bridge of the nose. The problem I am having as well is when I shout, screech, shriek or scream NO! The rabbit freezes and so do both dogs:roll::roll::roll: Nobody knows who I am talking too. The freeze lasts a few seconds and then ends with a resumption in the offending activities. I think part of the problem maybe down to the fact that both dogs seem strangely to have forgotten their names and now think they are called Basil:? and Basil doesn't seem to know whether he is Basil, Rosie or Freiya:lol:

Last edited:
Mine quickly understood about 60 of my words & phrases but strangely NO was never in his vocabulary!
I reasoned that buns might take more notice of a warning of danger,(brain wired to predator avoidance). Saying "careful" in a frightened voice, & imagining the consequences of e.g. a dead bunny if he ate wall paper, worked a treat, but ONLY if he hadn't done it repeatedly & safely before.

As he grew older & more bonded to me, I just had to drop my voice, "Thumper"! & he'd jump in the air & turn his back to temptation. It was so cute.

ETA with inappropriate chewing I'd offer him a bark covered stick/appropriate chew, as soon as he drew back from the wrong thing.

Last edited:
They understand it but ignore it anyway. They stop what they're doing for about two seconds then start again :roll:

This. They definitely understand it and they KNOW when they're doing something they shouldn't. Sometimes a deep NO works, usually the first few times, but then they carry on anyway, then the next few times me moving towards them works, then they carry on anyway, and then I have to physically stop them and find a way of blocking it off or remove the item.

My Timmy understands No and nearly always responds to it. I taught him it by saying NO in a very distinctive tone and putting my finger on the bridge of his nose (a sign of dominance) whenever he did something wrong.
Now i just say no always in the distinct warning tone and he stops what hes doing and looks at me asif to say 'what i wasnt doin nuffin!) :lol:
I'll be teaching my new boy Max in the same way xxx

That's interesting about the nose thing.

Back