• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Quick questions.... well 2 maybe!

thebuz

Warren Scout
So Scooter seems to have recovered from the weekend of not eating and is getting back to normal. While she was at the vets we found out she has indeed lost the 200 grams of the 300 grams of weight the vet had said was necessary for her to be spayed safely. The weight was definitely lost healthily and not from her recent bout of stasis. How long would you all wait before taking her in for the surgery considering her poor health over the weekend? Also we had been cutting back on her super bad rabbit food and feeding her 2 handfuls of cilantro daily. Is it too soon to pretty much cut out the food completely after two months of transition?

Thanks so much everyone! Your help on this forum is amazing! :love:

So Scooter seems to have recovered from the weekend of not eating and is getting back to normal. While she was at the vets we found out she has indeed lost the 200 grams of the 300 grams of weight the vet had said was necessary for her to be spayed safely. The weight was definitely lost healthily and not from her recent bout of stasis. How long would you all wait before taking her in for the surgery considering her poor health over the weekend? Also we had been cutting back on her super bad rabbit food and feeding her 2 handfuls of cilantro daily. Is it too soon to pretty much cut out the food completely after two months of transition?

Not really but the transition should be at moderate pace. But I'm glad your babies are ok now. Hope they'll be that way all the time.

I would wait atleast 2 weeks after a bout of stasis for non-urgent surgery.

I would wait atleast 2 weeks after a bout of stasis for non-urgent surgery.

I agree here. It usually takes 2 weeks for the gut micro organisms to restabilise after stasis.
The spay can wait indefinately. If Scooter is moulting, I'd leave it until the moult is over & she's restabilised on her new diet. Moulting is a considerable stress to a bun, & slows the gut in it's own right.

Thanks for the advice. I am most likely going to wait a month for the spay. I just need to get it done soon as we have a 4 month boy Ferdinand who is to become her husbun and he's almost ready to get done so I want to have time between the spays so we can look after each one after the operation separately. We are still giving her Florentero which is a bacteria that is supposed to keep her tummy healthy. God it's been so stressful! :shock:

Thanks for the advice. I am most likely going to wait a month for the spay. I just need to get it done soon as we have a 4 month boy Ferdinand who is to become her husbun and he's almost ready to get done so I want to have time between the spays so we can look after each one after the operation separately. We are still giving her Florentero which is a bacteria that is supposed to keep her tummy healthy. God it's been so stressful! :shock:

Believe me I know! & so do a lot of folk on here. It seems that there has been "bunny tummy mayhem" on the forum This last week & we're all shattered from nursing them.
We usually stick together much more, but haven't been able to this time.

Yes I read alot of the posts although I don't write much as I don't have anywhere near the knowledge you all do on this forum. I do really love having somewhere to go though where there is such understanding of our love for our bunnies. My parents dismiss them entirely and my brother just had a rant about how insane it is to have bunnies as pets. What's strange is that they both have pets of their own (cats/dogs) that they love immensely so not sure why our pets are hard for them to comprehend. I have learned so much from reading the posts on here and am very grateful that you all take time out to help us out!!!!! Much :love: to RU!

Back