• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is tarpaulin a good type of cover for hutches?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
Hi:wave:

My rabbits hutch cover have started ripping at the sides. Tried to buy new ones but they have been discontinued:(
Just wondered is tarpaulin a good waterproof cover for hutches?
what would you recommend?

It is to a degree- but mine started leaking- so I'd use plastic sheeting instead for sure, or some other kind of measure. Hope someone else can help- i also could do with a solution to this :) xx

Well a tarpaulin will work fine, it will block out all of the light though. Another option is to fit rain shields to your hutch, cutting pieces of perspex to the right size then screwing them into place. You can get rid of draft using various types of draft excluders they sell in wilkinsons

One of the best waterproof materials to use is pond liner (bought off the roll per metre) - not cheap tho, but quite thick and strong :thumb:

Sorry should have mentioned that I use the ground sheet for the back of the hutch. I use a plastic clear sheet for the front and velcro them together so I can remove the front one if it's nice. I have bought clear plastic sheets from hardware shops and craft shops, not too expensive. The whole thing, ground sheet velcro and clear sheet was £15 all together.

the rabbit hutch shop on ebay are selling the discontiued snuggle safe covers at reduced price on ebay :wave:

Back