• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How often do you give mixi jabs?

How often do you get mixi jabs for your buns?

• 6 Monthly

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • Annually

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters

Ambience

Warren Veteran
My vet recommends annually is fine, but six months if i want too.

p.s I have given annually with my 14 so far and not had problems, but i'm now giving six monthly and updating all vac's before i move because i'm going to be in the country soon, so i'm thinking the risk will be higher as no doubt there will be wildies where i'm going.

Last edited:
i live next to wildies that i have seen have had myxi before. Also they come in my garden occasionally.
so 6 monthly for me

I myxo every 6 months.

I think my vet recommends every 12 months for our area, but I think better safe than sorry.

Unfortunately that comes with a £380 price tag for my annual bunny vaccs, never mind the dog ones too!

I myxo every 6 months.

I think my vet recommends every 12 months for our area, but I think better safe than sorry.

Unfortunately that comes with a £380 price tag for my annual bunny vaccs, never mind the dog ones too!

I tend to do it in drips and drabs to keep the costs to a monthly amount rather than an annual outlay.

I'm having to get all my mixi and vhd upto date before i take any more buns in and before i relocate to the country as i view the area as being much higher risk than where i am now.

Yes i have the cats to do also. Buns have by far the biggest vet bill. I now have an account at the vets because i spend so much. She said to me- do i want to pay it next time rather than this time. I said no, but it's nice to know they have given me that facility if required.

I'm going to shop around when i move as i'll be vaccinating any rescues i take in routinely for both jabs.

I think it's really important, but i'm abit worried about blaze just having had his mixi at the same time as his castrate, dental and tear duct flush - as mudgy said. It is an ongoing infection however, so perhaps the vets thought that they had to do it at some point, it may as well be now.

I tend to think of my vet bills in terms of monthly outlay these days- i have an ongoing budget that only seems to get bigger and bigger each month. It's just gone up with my two dental buns that are going to need there teeth burring routinely.

xx

6 monthly as we live in the country. Lots of wildies around us.

Aww wildies are lovely- come with their drawbacks too. I'm quite worried about the mixi risk moving out to the country- my rabbit lucky died of mixi when i was little and lived on a farm.

It devastated me at the time. It was such a horrible disease. I hope that non of my future rabbits ever have to suffer that. Vaccination every 6 months will be my new routine out there.

Can rabbits who have previously faired well with vaccinations, not come through them on other occasions, or is it nearly certain the vaccination will go smoothly?

xx

I tend to do it in drips and drabs to keep the costs to a monthly amount rather than an annual outlay.

I'd be inclined to save up and do them all or at least a group in at the same time, you will often get a multi-bun discount if you take a certain number together.

i'm abit worried about blaze just having had his mixi at the same time as his castrate, dental and tear duct flush - as mudgy said. It is an ongoing infection however, so perhaps the vets thought that they had to do it at some point, it may as well be now.

Regardless of the infection, there is no way a vaccination should be given at the same time as a surgical procedure. The bun's body will have been challenged by the anaesthetic and the bun's body and immune system will be concentrating on repairing the wound and fighting infection in the wound - hardly a good time to give a vaccination. If the bun's body is busy doing those other things, there's a good chance that sufficient immunity will not develop, and/or make the bun poorly as its body struggles to deal with everything thrown at it in one go.

Being near water increases the risk because biting insects like mosquitos and gnats come from the water - the larvae are water-borne. So being near water means you are likely to be near a larger source of insects and therefore an increased likelihood of infected insects.

Mine are done 6 monthly; we have wild bunnies nearby, a major river just over the road and both neighbours have ponds, so I always make sure mine are done like clockwork at 6 months on the dot as long as they are well enough.

Can rabbits who have previously faired well with vaccinations, not come through them on other occasions, or is it nearly certain the vaccination will go smoothly?

Well mine have been done 6 monthly for years and I've never had a problem. But if a bun has an underlying health condition which has not become apparent yet, it is possible that giving the vaccination will cause their immune system to become 'overloaded' and make them ill. It's pretty unpredictable though, but uncommon :)

Last edited:
I'd be inclined to save up and do them all or at least a group in at the same time, you will often get a multi-bun discount if you take a certain number together.

Regardless of the infection, there is no way a vaccination should be given at the same time as a surgical procedure. The bun's body will have been challenged by the anaesthetic and the bun's body and immune system will be concentrating on repairing the wound and fighting infection in the wound - hardly a good time to give a vaccination. If the bun's body is busy doing those other things, there's a good chance that sufficient immunity will not develop, and/or make the bun poorly as its body struggles to deal with everything thrown at it in one go.

Being near water increases the risk because biting insects like mosquitos and gnats come from the water - the larvae are water-borne. So being near water means you are likely to be near a larger source of insects and therefore an increased likelihood of infected insects.

Mine are done 6 monthly; we have wild bunnies nearby, a major river just over the road and both neighbours have ponds, so I always make sure mine are done like clockwork at 6 months on the dot as long as they are well enough.

Well mine have been done 6 monthly for years and I've never had a problem. But if a bun has an underlying health condition which has not become apparent yet, it is possible that giving the vaccination will cause their immune system to become 'overloaded' and make them ill. It's pretty unpredictable though, but uncommon :)

Thankyou.

Blaze is on his feet now, but he has been laid out allday- he rolled over when i came up to see him. A little worried as he is usually sat upright, doesn't lay down much. To me that's a change of behavior, but i think i'm going to allow for the fact he's been through a fairly large amount of stress and is probably quite tired from it all. I have him opposite patch who is also recovering from his dental and castrate. I can certainly see patch is doing loads better.

I hope I'm doing the right thing letting them go through this every month. I.e i hope it's in their interest. I hear some people put dental buns down, i wouldn't do this with my own or any that i take in, but is this selfish on my part wanting to keep them with me, when obviously having spurs is something that can cause considerable pain indefinitely throughout a buns life.

Regardless, i will be selfish and pay out whatever i have to and take them in monthly or more for treatment if required, but i do want to make sure they are getting adequate pain relief. If what you say about injections being short-lived- that doesn't seem fair.

I'd hate to have had any op myself and not have pain relief. It would be unbearable. I'm abit of a wimp, but i'm pretty sure buns are not that hardy in that respect either.

I'll ask about discounts. There was a mention of 10% but im not sure if this applies to vaccinations. I've got a month really to get everything in order before i move.

The move in date is back end of october now, so will get both upto date. I'll give them a call tommorow and ask about doing as a group.

It's a mission getting this many buns down to the vets at once. Most i've managed was 7 at once. Maybe two trips same day. I'll see what they say.

Think i ought to get the rest of the mixi jabs out of the way now as i've got a two week wait for the vhd anyway.

I'm in with blaze post op in a day or two so i'll take some bunnies down then for vaccinations. Patch seems okay, but i'm not sure how long pain would last in a bunny that has had a dental op. Should i take him back again and get another injection when i take blaze in (i'll also get one for him), or would you just leave it now.

I'll just have a look at what the injection is called- one second....*runs off to get invoice**... xxx

6 monthly. The vets here always put 6-12 months but I would not want to risk leaving it any longer than 6 months regardless.

It was Vetergesic - Dose 10ml

The vet gave you 10mls to bring home? Is this just for Blaze, or both?
How many times a day are you giving it, because that could be the reason Blaze is still lying down all the time. It doesn't sound right.

The vet gave you 10mls to bring home? Is this just for Blaze, or both?
How many times a day are you giving it, because that could be the reason Blaze is still lying down all the time. It doesn't sound right.

That was injectable that was done at the surgery for patch all in one go.

I have antibiotics for home, but no additional pain relief. My vet was adamant metacam is just likely to cause more problems and that i should come back and have pain relief administered by them as and when i need it.

Needless to say I'm now worried about blazes potential pain. I don't know how soon after the opiate type he had he can have another injection, but i am planning to take him back tomorrow to be checked over as he seems alot more lethargic than patch did.

Patch actually seems okay now, but I'm still worried about pain, as i know bunny's hide this well and i have no idea on the timescale a dental op may cause pain.

Blaze is up on his feet now, i'm not sure if it's because he is just genuinely tired that he has been laid out most of the day, but as he sits up alot, just found it abit unusual. xx

Back