• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bailey has gone awful skinny! U.D... HE IS HOOOOOOOME!!

Mazda

Warren Veteran
:( my poor boy.
i picked him up yesterday and he feels like a bag of bones!!

Im gonna see if my boss will let me ring the vets from work. he is eating and drinking. Just a bit skinny. He is maulting so dunno if that may be a course?

But im gonna see if i can get his teeeeefs checked.
xx

Last edited:
Have you seen his poos??? Could he have a parasite??Can bunnies get worms????

Yes i'm pretty sure bunnies get worms.
If there are no other problems when the vet checks him, i found feeding porridge a great way to fatten up skinny buns.

Doesn't Panacur get rid of worms? I know we use it primarily for EC but is it not a wormer as well?

Not trying to be a worrywart but bunnies don't just lose weight for no reason. It could be teeth or it could be any number of other things.

You vet will know what tests to do :) But do it sooner rather than later as the more he loses, the poorlier he'll get and the logner it'll take him to recover from whatever it is. A good trick is to weigh the buns every fortnight or so to pick up any slight weight changes before they become serious - and it can be handy to have the weight record to show to the vets too, that's how I finally convinced them my chinchilla Marnie had molar spurs!

hope he's ok :)

How old is Bailey, remind me Mai? Is he less active than usual? They do lose a little muscle as they age - our Mr F is like this but the vet agrees he's fine.

You'll feel much better when he's been checked over.

Vibes to Bailey from us and Bluebell (his litter sister from Newport). They have just turned 2 years as far as I can work out. Hope it is nothing serious and he picks up soon.

Vibes to Bailey from us and Bluebell (his litter sister from Newport). They have just turned 2 years as far as I can work out. Hope it is nothing serious and he picks up soon.

Wow! That's cool, how is she? :)

Yep, he is roughly about two years old liz :)

I'm gonna ring the vets tomorow :) thanks guys xx

Bluebell is doing well. She is a very small bun - and VERY fluffy. When she is brushed I end up with 2 grey piles - one with ears & legs, the other goes to the mice for bedding. She has a permanently slightly runny eye due to a deformed tear duct. She has quite a short , round face.

The vet was unable to flush it when she was neutered but it has never been a problem. Shimmer, her husbun, keeps it tidy for her and it has never been infected.

There was another litter sister - Bella - who was rehomed locally to the rescue much later than ours. She was a similar colour to Bailey.

I hope Bailey is OK. Bluebell is quite a small bun under all the fur but maintains her weight. She is 'slim' rather than boney. She has had no other health issues so far (eg teeth).

:wave: Hiya Shimmer how are you and the girls? Its good to hear that Bluebell is doing well - we haven't forgotten that night 2 yrs ago in Skipton.

Keep us updated Mai - he's too young to be losing weight. Can you keep a record of his weight over the next few weeks to help identify any trends?

Im takeing him to the vet this evening... ten to five. :) Hopeing to get his teeth checked and i may ask for some panacur. :)

Glad bluebell is ok Shimmer :) x

Hiya Mai :)

My Mae lost loads of weight, she just kept loosing it and my vet had no ideas (she had a dental but the spurs were tiny!) I have to seperate them during feeding and Mae gets two handfulls of pellets, I just let her eat until she's done, she got down to 680g ish and is now 900g just 100 more to go!
You could try Bailey on some junior pellets if his teeth are okay :wave:

Not long back from the vets. My boy is haveing a dental tomorow. :( so worried...she let me see his teeth, there was all hay stuck in them :(

...I'm glad I took him.

:wave: I'm sure he'll be fine. We had a tiny Nethie who needed regular dentals and she sailed through the treatment every time.

Back