• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cecily Sweetpea - SHE MADE IT - Back Home

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Cecily hasn't been in good health at all since she came to us. With her front teeth removed and having never eaten hay, we knew we'd have our work cut out. She has managed to survive thus far because of her enormous spirit, but I wonder if it's going to be enough to get her through her next step on her journey to a new life.

On Sunday she developed a swollen bottom lip, which has always protruded due to the lack of incisors. It grew is size yesterday and today she's been to see Ivan. We have two options for her future. PTS because she is never, going to be fully well or free from her ailments, or risk her under GA. She has recently weighed as little as .500kgs. I've gotten her up to .77kgs when last weighed at the weekend, but today only two days on she's back to .67kgs.

The abcess is huge and needs to be opened up under GA and not local because of the site and the anticipated pain involved. Her face is so flat - she has no nose so we need to give this our best shot - she couldn't keep having repeated treatments under GA. Ivan will spay her at the same time to give her the best chance of a future with a friend should she come through her ordeal.

I'm normally pretty strong when faced with these kind of siutations but for some reason, this has rocked me. She's such an amazing girl and I know we have to give her the best chance of some respite from the abcess, but I also know what a huge risk this procedure will be. I am so lucky to know that if anyone can fix her, Ivan can.

This is her chin, the abcess is in her lower lip and is probably based from the site of her incisor extraction and is very taught making it very sore for her. The problem can't be solved by 'lancing' to drain because it would be way too painful and wouldn't solve the underlying issue.

28Sept2010003.jpg

Our darling girl, not looking her best today. Amazing how much difference a day makes - she's gone so quickly downhill.

28Sept2010004.jpg

Please can you think about her and send positive thoughts for Thursday - giving a day or so for the strong antibiotics to try and give her lungs and any infection a chance to work.

Last edited:
Dear little girl.
I have no suggestions....
Is she eating ok?? 5oo grams is so tiny.....

Dear little girl.
I have no suggestions....
Is she eating ok?? 5oo grams is so tiny.....

She has never eaten any hay at all Yvette. Even with all of my normal tricks and knowhow, I have failed with her. She is only Oxbow Bunny Basics T as it's a high fibre, pressed, and Alfalfa free pellet. This has managed to get her from no poos - just slop, to fine but small poos and loads of them. She's had fibreplex too and other high fibre items to get her gut working and keep her using her teeth.

Her remaining teeth are actually really quite good and so if we can just get her through this, I feel we can continue to get her eating better.

She is tiny anyway, but the weight is a problem. At her best, she was only ever .800kgs with her prevous owner so we do have a real battle with this. She can't afford to drop a gramme.

As we speak she's tucking into food, so I really pray that her little spirit will bring her back home on Thursday.

Awww poor baby girl! I will be sending out all my energy for this little angel, she is so special and I hope she will be better soon!!!!

Mary xxx

She is such a wee darling. :love: Hope that she eats well between now and Thursday and can be at her best for the op.

Really hope this little one can make it. What a little fighter, though she does indeed look a bit worse for wear in the photo :(

Huge vibes and positive thoughts for Cecily xxx

You just never know Helen.Her spirit has kept her this far....
(wasnt this the lass I wanted????)

Lots of vibes for her...Wishing for the meds to kick in and for this little girl to buck up!!!

She sounds similar to my Grimlock, so I will pass on all my advice and tricks I use for him.

He has never eaten hay, has no front teeth and only a few back teeth. Some of them are rotten but we can't risk a GA as he stopped breathing last time. We're giving him pain killers twice a day and literally waiting for him to stop eating before we do the operation. I feed him on excel junior pellets and I soak them in water. They swell up to the size of a normal pellet but he can eat them even when his mouth is sore. I feed him a large portion on his own every four to eight hours and let him eat as much as he wants. I give him his medicine on bread which I also soak in water if his mouth hurts.

For his abscesses - which were actually in his jaw in the root of his incisors - he had an operation to clean it out and was then on depocillin injections which I gave at home every three days for eight weeks. It cleared up completely. He's such a fighter and is happy no matter what. He has many other problems too, but I know he wants to go on so I do what I can.

I wish you all the best of luck with her. If she has a strong will I would risk the operation.

Oh Cecily what a beautiful girl :love: Sending loads of vibes to this extremely special bun. She has a twinkle in her eyes tgat says she can beat this :D

She sounds similar to my Grimlock, so I will pass on all my advice and tricks I use for him.

He has never eaten hay, has no front teeth and only a few back teeth. Some of them are rotten but we can't risk a GA as he stopped breathing last time. We're giving him pain killers twice a day and literally waiting for him to stop eating before we do the operation. I feed him on excel junior pellets and I soak them in water. They swell up to the size of a normal pellet but he can eat them even when his mouth is sore. I feed him a large portion on his own every four to eight hours and let him eat as much as he wants. I give him his medicine on bread which I also soak in water if his mouth hurts.

For his abscesses - which were actually in his jaw in the root of his incisors - he had an operation to clean it out and was then on depocillin injections which I gave at home every three days for eight weeks. It cleared up completely. He's such a fighter and is happy no matter what. He has many other problems too, but I know he wants to go on so I do what I can.

I wish you all the best of luck with her. If she has a strong will I would risk the operation.

Thank you for writing the above.

We don't have a problem with Cecily eating - she eats everything she is given (except hay). She's on a high fibre pellet to help get her gut moving, but we can't risk giving her alfalfa as she will produce way too many cecals if we do (and then she cakes herself in the mess) She has such sore hocks too from I guess a longterm issue at her previous home where she did this, so we have to be ultra careful. So eating is no bother, even with her painful mouth, but it's the weight issue so we are giving her calorific foods and were succeding until this weekend. Her remaining teeth are actually in good shape so we are fairly happy with them. Our vet thinks that she actually just doesn't have enough room in her tiny head (with flat face) to eat correctly.

It's good to hear that, you have managed the infection/abcess so well - let's hope we can do the same. She's a proper moo at times so I think that she'll be carried through by her character, it's just her little body that we worry about giving out.

I do think she wants to carry on - no sign of her being inactive or depressed at the moment at least.

Thank you - positive words, which do help.

Helen

:(:(:( I can't believe that lovely little Cecily has gone downhill so quickly. I wuvs her :love::love:

I will have everything crossed for her op on Thursday and hopefully a speedy and positive recovery and then I can come and steal her from you.

Gentle snogs to the lovely Cecily and I too will be waiting nervously for news xxx

Back