• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Crematorium

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
I normally leave my buns at the vets and have their ashes back, if they die at st georges I pick them up and take them to cavan vets, because tehir crem costs are cheaper. I always get them back in a casket and they come little death certificate and on the back is the details of the crematorium.

I decided to actually take Bramble to the crem myself last night rather than going through the vets (they are using a different crem now) so I got the details off the back of one of the certificates.

I have always been a bit scared about dropping them off before because I didn't know what to expect, but my goodness :shock: it was lovely. They had a little chapel of rest and it's a little family run place out in the countryside http://www.swanpitpetcrematorium.co.uk/ the experience wasn't as traumatic as I thought and I wish I had dropped my others direct now :(,
they have always been good to me as when I've had partners die of already dead bunnies, they have opened up the casket and put my bonded pairs back together for me.

Bramble was cremated last night and I pick her up tonight. I had this excellent services and all it cost was £40 and that's to have her in a casket with a brass name plague, I was paying 3 times that at the vets, the cheeky vets really rip us off in our time of need :shock:.

Anyway the point to this thread is, rather than leave your pet at the vet, take them to the crem yourself, google your local pet crem and find out costs because it's really hard to do it after they've gone :(, it is kind of nice way to say goodbye and is a lot cheaper.

When I got home Bryn was like "was it a factory with big chimney :(", but seriously it was a proper little crem, the old bloke that run it was really dotty.

I am a bit sad about Bramble but at least she will be back home tonight :(

Last edited:
I couldn't believe it was so cheap going direct, I wont go through the vets again that is for sure.

The vets were charging me just under £150 for each one and it's only £40 to go direct, I know money doesn't come into it, but they're both done at the same place, so it's not like I was getting any different service :shock:, plus it was nice seeing where they were going and they were really respecful, although the bloke was a bit mad :lol:, I guess you have to be to run a pet crem :oops:,

Last edited:
They look like a nice one too, I notice yours do a urn pendent, that is such a nice idea.

Thanks for that. I try to get a friend to help me bury my fur children but as I am intending moving next year I wanted to have any future bridge babies cremated but knew I couldn't afford it.

I will see if there is a crematorium near me as the costs you have quoted are far, far cheaper than a vet.

I am really annoyed with the vets, I give them that much business you'd think they wouldn't make that much profit from something so upsetting, I did think about ringing them and having a bit of a moan about it, but I have two rescues in for neuter tomorrow I'll wait until they're done :oops:

That sounds like quite a hefty mark up Tree.

A nice touch about putting bonded buns back together too - they clearly understand what people feel is important.

I have also used Dignity in the past, although all of our buns are now just interned in the garden rather than cremated.

When I buried Fudge the other week her sister went in with her - she was my last Dignity bunny and was in a lovely pouch. She'd been on shelf for 4 years until she could be reunited.

I think it's important to make plans ahead of time as owners generally don't feel able to make decisions at the time of their animals' passing.

Bit like humans really - I think we should all decide what to do ahead of our own demise and pay for it in advance too - save our loved ones from having to make difficult (and often last minute and overpriced) decisions when they are at their most grief stricken.

Thanks for all that, Tree. Definitely something I wouldn't want to be thinking of at the time but worth considering beforehand.

I've always buried them but have this awful realisation that if I leave this house I'll be leaving Scrappy behind :cry::cry: A friend recently said that she wanted the ashes of all her cats buried with her and quite like that idea. I'm not sure but I think I would go for cremations in future, if I trust that it would be their ashes I get back. I googled and found a place that has human and pet cemetery where you can reserve plots together, and do pet cremations etc. I drive past it on my way to work but didn't know it was there :oops:

It sounds like a lovely place. :) I can't believe the vet charges so much more when they take them to the exact same place. :shock:

I keep meaning to look into similar services locally as you're very right, it's not something I will feel like doing if/when it's actually needed.

It feels bad looking before, but when they go it is so stressful, I can't even speak without crying so no chance of sorting much out :oops::oops::lol:

It does feel bad looking before. I know Sue will be going to the Bridge in the not too distant future but feel so guilty thinking about what best to do for her partner, Peggy. I will feel even worst looking up pet cemeteries and yet I know that when I have a beloved fur baby PTS I am a complete mess and incapable of rational decision.

When my foster bun, Justin, went to the Bridge earlier this year I knew I wanted him back and tried to dig a hole. The handle fell off the spade but I did my best. Once I collected Justin I realised the hole wasn't nearly big enough. I then just kept walking around the house crying cuddling him in a blanket. I had no idea what I was going to do with him.

Fortunately, a friend left work and came over and dug a deeper hole and helped me put Justin to rest.

I do want to be more organised in future but hate thinking about it. Am in tears now - and I haven't even looked at the crematorium website yet!!

Am just a complete wuss where my pets are concerned!!!

Rotten to think the vets put a massive mark up...specially when they (or some) are sympathetic at the time.

Rotten to think the vets put a massive mark up...specially when they (or some) are sympathetic at the time.

That's poor isn't it.

Glad to say that our practices don't - client has several choices including the chance to use two different crematoria, with differing prices. And, the decision doesn't have to be made at time of PTS either.

That's poor isn't it.

Glad to say that our practices don't - client has several choices including the chance to use two different crematoria, with differing prices. And, the decision doesn't have to be made at time of PTS either.

Havent had the experience really....not while here in Devon.My old vets (ferrets) were ace, the cat vet very good too.
But I came here and saw a vet last yr for my old boy Archie.
Archie bit the vet...so I didnt get alot of support.His body was taken by his other mummy to be buried next to his brother.
I dread the time with my buns....and I look awful when I cry so no joy with my gorgous lovely vet either...Ho hum.:oops:

It looks like a nice place. Shocking mark up from the vets - you think they make enough money already really without hiking up the price of such an upsetting time.

I take mine to the vets. It's £100 ish to get ashes back, but I never do. Never been charged for a cremation. :?

Jamie is going up tonight. Alfie is already there cos he had PM.

I don't want the ashes back though. It doesn't feel important to me. I just feel numb

Back