• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay

catxx

Mama Doe
What kind/brand(s) of hay do you give your rabbits? I'm trying to switch to dust free, dusty hay gives Pat the sneezies, but can't afford hay from Dust Free Hay.co.uk until next month, and the fact it's online means I have to take time off work to meet the courier (hate couriers!).

I tried my bunnies on the Burgess Fresh Forage, the only genuinely dust free half decent looking stuff in my local pet supermarket. It wasn't cheap but the bunnies have fallen for it! They love their hay anyway. They get it mixed with Oxbow Oat Hay at the moment, because the pet store was out of Oxbow Orchard Grass which is their favourite.

Are the bunnies ok on Fresh Forage as a main hay? At about £4 a pop it only lasts a week :( I wish my local pet stores sold bigger bags of dust free stuff! They only have big bags of dusty stuff. GAH!

Hi, can you find out if a farm or riding stables in your area is selling hay by the bale? I do this with mine and a lovely big bale is only £5.50 which lasts about 5 weeks :D

I also buy a huge bale but i don't think they do dust free ones. :(

I was told that basically you pay for the dust extraction and not the hay. My bunnies are fine with the hay they have now and it doesn't seem too dusty but i wouldn't reccommend it if your bunies get snuffly with dust.

I buy a bale and 'thresh' it to remove the majority of the dust. I lay out a tarp on the grass and take a 'slice' or two of hay from the bale and just break it up and toss it around on the tarp and then leave it there for half an hour to an hour. Then I pick it back up in large handfuls and put it in old megazorb sacks.

It removes quite a bit of the dust and is fine for Nutmeg who has mild respiratory problems.

Back