• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

White urine, how long to clear up?

Carrie14

Mama Doe
Tiesto has started, in the last four days, to wee white urine. I am lowering calcium in her diet. I was hoping that after one low calcium breakfast she would be back to normal but it is not.

How long would it take for the excess calcium to leave her system?

And what is the difference between the odd white wee and bladder sludge?

In one of jacks-jane old posts it said if the urine felt grainy between your fingers then to get to a vet. It doesn't, just feels sticky:mrgreen:

She does not seem to be straining, appetite is good, etc.

Any thoughts welcome as I am really worried about her. She is booked into the vet next Wednesday.

Thank you.

Edited to add. Vet suggested adding apple juice to a different bowl of water to tempt her to drink more. This cleared up the white chalky urine:D

Last edited:
Thanks for that:)

She drinks from a bowl permanently now anyway, but I will be wetting her veg now too.

Not sure how to encourage her to exercise. Periscoping for food perhaps? She is not a confidant bun yet:(

As Jane says, water will help keep it flushing through her system.

Some pellets are higher in calcium too. Mine are on Oxbow which is lower in calcium and they do still pass white urine at times. Just be careful not to give too much veg that is high in calcium i.e. kale, spinach and carrot tops.

As Jane says, water will help keep it flushing through her system.

Some pellets are higher in calcium too. Mine are on Oxbow which is lower in calcium and they do still pass white urine at times. Just be careful not to give too much veg that is high in calcium i.e. kale, spinach and carrot tops.[/QUOTE]

All poor Tiestos favorites:(

Thanks, think I'll just go and Google Oxbow:)

Back