• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my likkle soulmate is poorly ... staying at vets another night. Back home !!

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Artie :cry::cry::cry:

I wasn't sure this morning but he just didn't seem so bright.

He ate his spring greens, though took his time this morning and ate his dinner as well, though not all of it when I was with him, so during the afternoon sometime.

This evening 5.30 he was stretching and flopping :cry::cry::cry: All this stuff about blood glucose testing and staying calm went out of the window. I couldn't get him to Harcourt-Brown's before they close (other vet practice does emergency cover on Mondays) and there's a landslide en route that I had forgotten about so big diversion :cry::cry:

Local vets fitted us in as an emergency, immediately and I'm really pleased with the care he got. His bladder felt okay but his stomach was quieter than it should be. His heart and lungs sounded okay. (There was also a reasonable amount of poops and wee in his tray.)

He's had maxolon, Vetergesic (he called it 'Brupracare'?), he's had it before in these circumstances. and Baytril.

I've some critical care in case he needs syringe feeding. I've been told not to give him his diuretic in case it leads to dehydration, which sounds like good advice. My baby is just dozing now which sounds about right as the morphine-based painkiller made him very sleepy last time. I'm going to have to disturb him soon to try and get him to eat something. I'll not attempt to syringe feed until about 9 as I know he has eaten at some point this evening.

Last edited:
Poor Artie :( It's awful seeing them when they're so poorly :(

I'm glad the other vets have helped him. Fingers crossed the meds and some syringe feeds will do the trick for him.

Millions of vibes. x

Millions of vibes. x

Thanks for the vibes. Thankfully I didn't need to syringe feed him as he ate quite a bit just by me waving it at him. He wasn't as doped up as I expected. I slept on the floor last night to make sure he was okay.

I'm really struggling, worrying so much about him. It sounds daft as he has eaten quite well and he had pooped (not loads but as much as can be expected), he has weed but not for a while.:? The vet last night did say his bladder felt okay.

He just seems so quiet, no spark about him. He's had a a little preen from time to time, he's had grass/hay/greens without me prompting him but still I'm worried sick :cry::cry: I've no idea now if I'm being paranoid or not.:? I've cuddled him and he has tooth purred, nudged and licked me but other times he just lets me snuggle him and no response whatsoever from him. I need him to run over to me when I enter the room, he just seems so sad. This afternoon I just thought he's napping as the rest were. Now I just feel he should be livelier :? I've rung vets for advice re how often I should expect him to wee but been told rabbits don't get blockages in that way, not to worry. He's certainly not behaving in pain, just so, so quiet. He's not touched his Excel but that is normal for day after stasis.

I've just no idea whether I'm being paranoid but if he keeps eating and doesn't appear to be in pain then hopefully he will get his spark back. *sigh*

:cry::cry::cry:

:oops:sorry for the essay:oops:

I've only just seen this; I'm so sorry to hear Artie isn't himself again. :cry::cry:

I don't know what to advise really :oops: but I can totally identify with the paranoid feeelings - you don't want to rush to the vet in case there's nothing wrong, but there's a constant niggle at the back of your mind telling you that it might be something.

I'm positive that the more they feel they're being watched, the less likely they are to act normally too which doesn't help.

I should have married a vet, so I could have one at my beck and call 24/7. :lol:

Sending lots of vibes. xx

I'm sorry Alison I missed this yesterday :( Poor Artie, I really hope your special boy bounces back to his normal self soon.

Sending him lots & lots of vibes & snuggles xxx

I'm sorry :( sending lots of vibes and ummmm "strengthening thoughts" - useful if you're anythign like me cos i go ot pieces when they're poorly :oops:

Thanks guys :wave:

I genuinely don't know at this stage whether I'm expecting too much of him to be all bright and bouncy. Part of my paranoia is because FHB is away and there's a diversion getting to the vets anyway that adds about 5 miles to the journey (and an unknown route).

He's precious beyond words :cry::cry::cry:

He's actually looked quite bright for the last few minutes, perhaps I should have asked for vibes a bit sooner :D He just did the ear shaking thing (I think Donnamt calls it a 'head binky') when I went over to him and he tooth purred as well so *maybe* I can calm down a bit :?

Fingers crossed that he's starting to perk up again.

Is FHB in Tanzania or somewhere? That's what OH said, but it's very impressive if she is that far away as I know Ruth spoke to her pretty much every day re: Daisy. So, try not to worry too much if Artie does end up going in because FHB will still be on the case even though she's not there in person :)

I know exactly what you mean about post-stasis worry. My two are both home now, but neither one wants to see me at the moment (normal, reclaiming territory and settling in behaviour so I'm giving them some space). I'm already panicking about Daisy as there's a load of uneaten caecs in one of the trays and only a few Jester-sized poos. But she has eaten some grass and some Burn's meadow mix stuff, so hopefully it's just the slowly returning to normal appetite phase.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a Daisy update :oops: just wanted to say I totally empathise with the worries over every little sign as I'm in the same boat today.

Loads more vibes for gorgeous Artie and hoping he'll bounce back soon :)

Fingers crossed that he's starting to perk up again.

Is FHB in Tanzania or somewhere? That's what OH said, but it's very impressive if she is that far away as I know Ruth spoke to her pretty much every day re: Daisy. So, try not to worry too much if Artie does end up going in because FHB will still be on the case even though she's not there in person :)

I know exactly what you mean about post-stasis worry. My two are both home now, but neither one wants to see me at the moment (normal, reclaiming territory and settling in behaviour so I'm giving them some space). I'm already panicking about Daisy as there's a load of uneaten caecs in one of the trays and only a few Jester-sized poos. But she has eaten some grass and some Burn's meadow mix stuff, so hopefully it's just the slowly returning to normal appetite phase.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a Daisy update :oops: just wanted to say I totally empathise with the worries over every little sign as I'm in the same boat today.

Loads more vibes for gorgeous Artie and hoping he'll bounce back soon :)

Daisy update very welcome :wave: Comparing level of worry does help loads. When I rang receptionist said FHB was off for a month (which I had been told but forgot it was so long, again forgot what I was told about where they had gone). I did however find via google some details of an avian and exotics conference in Australia at the beginning of October that Nigel and Frances are both speaking at: http://www.aavac.com.au/conference.html , so I guess they are fitting a holiday around some work. Good to know Ruth can contact her easily though. Alison is on-call tonight who admits to not being particularly rabbit savvy so if I'm still worried in the morning (but he's okay overnight) I'll probably take him to see Ruth.

Artie is enthusiastically tucking into some new grass (like bamboo shoots!) at the mo so I shall try to be optimistic.

Thanks again for the support folks, it means such a lot :D

Last edited:
:D He just ran over to the doorway when he saw me walking across the landing :love::love::love: He's still not eating Excel and Carroty treats but I feel more optimistic than I did a couple of hours ago.

I'm suspicious of 'underlying cause' for the stasis still being present but maybe it was just a bellyache.

If he wees soon that will make me feel a lot better (he's not had Furosemide as the vet advised not to until he's better, so that may change his weeing patterns).

Artie is enthusiastically tucking into some new grass (like bamboo shoots!) at the mo so I shall try to be optimistic.

Yay, that's great :D Hope he'll continue nomming and put your mind at rest.

Daisy has just been reunited with her favourite treat - the fenugreek crunchie - which she hasn't had since about February. There was much excited grunting :lol: She's eating little bits, which always seems odd as I'm used to her troughing like a horse, but still, at least she's nibbling :)

Keep eating Artie :thumb:

Back