• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Seed pods in hay are they safe?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
I keep finding these seed pods in my farm hay! Does anyone know what they are and if they're safe? I've been pulling them out! Something wants me to say it's vetch but that's a wild guess based on stuff I did thousands of years ago at Primary School :lol:

ee7862bf.jpg

I don't know the answer, only that in general the 'legume' (pea) family of plants are not advised as food for rabbits because of their high starch content.
I don't think the odd one that gets through will do much harm, - vetch (if that is what they are,) grows wild, so I guess the odd wild bunny will nibble on them.
My bunnies seem to eat everything plantlife that doesn't move to no ill effect. The only thing they won't touch that grow in my garden, are snowdrops! Perhaps they have some good idea what is not safe to eat.

Hopefully someone with a more definitive answer will come along.

I had that in hay recently - I took mine back as I didn't know what it was, the lady who runs the feed store said it was Lucerne (is that the same as Alfalfa?) but when I asked on here the feeling was that it is Vetch.

Thanks for the comments! I shall be googling images at work tomorrow in my quest to identify it! Im having a few difficulties on my iPhone tonight!

Looks like common vetch to me - don’t think it’s lucerne (alfalfa) or rape (similar pod shape but leaves are different) I’m fairly sure 99% that vetch has a little pointed ‘spike’ bit at the end of each leaf. If it’s farm hay chances are it’s vetch - helps to fatten the cattle. :)

I’m just going by the Rabbit Nutrition book ( Virginia Richardson) and that has vetch listed as ok - doesn’t mention the pods though :? But it doesn’t say anything specific next to it - like it does with the other plants that are listed (like - just leaves, whole plant, only roots etc) mind you it doesn’t say anything specific next to dandelion either and buns eat all of that - so maybe it’s a given that they can eat all of it?

I doubt they could do any harm, I suppose if buns ate a massive amount it might upset the tum - if there’s loads and loads of it in the hay I think I’d probably pick some out - if there’s only a few pieces here and there I’d probably just leave it. Everything in moderation :D

Thank you! I've just reloaded their hay basket and still couldn't bring myself to leave them in just in case :lol: there aren't that many but as it's not 100% definate that it's vetch I daren't risk it!

Back