• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chesney is pulling out his fur

KB26

Young Bun
Hello all hope you can help me.

We took Chesney to the vet on Saturday morning as literally overnight he had begun to pull fur our from around his neck line on the right hand side. I was concerned it might be mites but was told it definitely wasn't. The vet thought he'd perhaps pushed himself into a tight space and irritated his neck and just gnawed away at it until the fur fell out. She gave me some antibiotics and advise I put E45 on the exposed skin (his baldy patch is about the size of a £2 coin).

I've just taken him out of his hutch for some running about and noticed that he's begun to pull the fur out of the other side of his neck :shock:

It's definitely not mites and I think we can discount the vet's theory since it's fairly unlikely he's managed to irritate his neck on both sides?

He's not had any vacs recently and is due to be neutered next week.

A quick Google search has led me to believe that he's maybe stressed and / or bored which makes me sad :cry: we give him free run of one room. It is fairly small but we live in a rented place and we're trying to limit his destruction to one area. When we're back from work he gets about 3-4 hours of supervised free-range time in the rest of the house. He also has lots of toys and chew things to keep him occupied.

Can anyone advise me...??? It's making me sad to think that he is sad!!!:cry:

Poor boy :( It could be boredom/frustration but dont beat yourself up about it, an unneutered buck can be very highly strung. Id keep a close eye on it for soreness or anything obvious being the cause and try and keep him distracted. Is there any chance you can bring theneuter forwards a few days? Im betting he'll mellow abit afterwards. Also are you planning to get him a friend when hes done? That would do wonders for easing his boredom and loneliness when youre not with him xxxxxxx

Poor boy :( It could be boredom/frustration but dont beat yourself up about it, an unneutered buck can be very highly strung. Id keep a close eye on it for soreness or anything obvious being the cause and try and keep him distracted. Is there any chance you can bring theneuter forwards a few days? Im betting he'll mellow abit afterwards. Also are you planning to get him a friend when hes done? That would do wonders for easing his boredom and loneliness when youre not with him xxxxxxx

Thank you...I'd thought about getting the neutering brought forward but we've planned it for a Friday morning so that we can with with him 24/7 over the next two-three days rather than getting it done mid-week and him being alone. It's this Fri so only 4 days (sorry I know I previously said next week - getting my days in a muddle)

I'd love to get him a friend but not sure we have the space :cry: but it's something to definitely consider.

Thank you for your reply - he is my first bun and I worry about him - my friend think I'm mental I think :roll:

KB xxx

Back