• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nail clipping - hit the quick :(

lizzyjm

Alpha Buck
I've just clipped Sergeant's nails and unfortunately got the quick on one of his back paws and drew blood. I can't see where it is as his back nails are mostly black and a torch doesn't help (plus there's only one of me). I didn't think I'd gone that far down though. I've read on here before about cornflour being good for this, so I covered it in loads of the stuff. He's had a hop about and then a flop, so he seems okay and I can't see any more blood but is there anything else I need to do? Will he be okay?

He'll be fine, just make sure you keep his enviroment extra clean so he doesn't get an infection.

Ive done it when trimming Timmys nails before, was mortified!
Dont worry though, he'll be fine now its stopped bleeding, just keep it clean :wave:

This is only the second time I've attempted it, I didn't even realise until I saw blood on the towel! I've been giving him plenty of strokes since, the poor thing.

I was nearly in tears when I did this to Rosie :cry:. She didn't seem bothered at all though - I only noticed cos I saw a bit of blood on her fur and she was licking it a lot. Not had any problems with it and I'm ultra careful now with the amount I cut off.

Yes, I'm going to be mega-paranoid now! Sergeant seems perfectly fine now and I think it was only a small bit of blood, thankfully, compared to stories I've read. He's just found the towel on the floor and started licking the bit with the blood on!

Back