• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question on Litter Training...

moxiegirl

Young Bun
I have Clyde who is 4 months old and he uses the the litter box since he has been little, a little strays here and there for poops but thats fine.

We have brought a 10 month old male home the other day and he was never litter box trained, so wondering how to go about this?
I have put the hay rack right over the pan and put poops in the pan also, but he continues to not use it for urine or poops.
It has only been a couple days, so give it more time or what?

Yes both males which I plan on getting fixed as soon as I can.

Will it be hard to train him now that he is that old or not?

Thanks

Last edited:
Generally speaking unneutered rabbits of any sex are difficult to get reliable litter training from, castration/spaying makes them far more reliable and easier to train as it removes the hormonal component in territory marking. I personally would not fuss too much over training an unneutered rabbit if it doesn't use a latrine naturally for fear of making it neurotic over its latrine, I would wait until he had been castrated personally.

I would then put the tray where he does his urine - it is easier to go with bunny on this. Urine deposition if in one spot, whether with droppings or not, is usually the 'latrine', I would then put lots of hay in the tray as well as over it and encourage bun to munch in the tray to encourage droppings to be deposited there also. Positive reward if you catch bun using the tray can work wonders.

No it's not too late at all, we fostered a neutered male who had never been litter trained, it took 2 days of supervision and positive reward and he got the hang of it perfectly. :)

I agree with the above post although my bun wasn't neutered at the time and managed to litter train without too much hassle, maybe i was lucky, but yep the approach suggested worked for me

I'd clean up any urine left elsewhere with kitchen paper and smear it round his litter tray (and leave the paper there). Also dont clean it at first so he can smell it. Might be a bit smelly for you but worth it in the long run

Back