• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and Cats

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
How do you know when choosing cat if it's going to get on ok with your house rabbits?

Obviously we'd never leave them together unattended, but we're starting to look for a cat, but don't know what we should be looking for

That is a difficult one, i have a cat he`s an absolute horror and into everything even though he`s 12 years or more.
i`d go for a placid quiet sort of cat, one that seems a little shy maybe, saying that my buns get on well with my mog just fine. xx

If your rescuing the rescue should be able to tell you a bit about the cats personality :) They might also know if the cat has lived with other animals before. I would go for an adult cat, I think they are more likely to be a bit more laid back than a kitten

as long as the cat has a good nature.....or is shy...the bunny will be the boss:lol:

our first housebun we got when our old cats were 7 and 8yrs old..no probs.

our second cats we got as kitts and the buns took them on...bif mothered them..bertie disciplined them...and both broke up their spats. My boy kitty who i lost to heart probs in july made bertie his daddy and would cuddle into him and go to sleep and bertie let him....when he got older he used to have snuggles and naps with bertie..and they both loved it.
berties still grieving for salem....he got so lonely and especially having my first rescue bun bif be pts..he bonded himself with merlin our lionhead. But they try to involve salems sister and shes stil too heartbroken to do so.

all our cats ahve grieved for passsed over buns and vice versa...

buns and cats are a right mix as some body language is similar....:wave:

If you're going for a rescue, try to get a young cat or kitten so they can grow up with the bunnies. Or you may let lucky and find one that's used to rabbits. Failing that, pick the most laid back adult you can find that hasn't much of a prey drive i.e. don't pick a humungous tom cat that's spent his life as a farm car or feral.

Back