• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lumps still there over a week since jag!

thenamesJT

Mama Doe
Ok, Orla had her Myxi over a week ago & has developed a lump where it was given. Its went rather hard & was wondering if this is just a mild reaction???

Shes bck at the vets on the 4th Oct, apart from her lump, shes in great health.

Would you leave your bun to be seen until then with this problem? Anyone had this problem??

Oh, I don't know! It definately sounds like a reaction to the vaccine.

I was tempted to reply and say that the vaccine could have triggered a very mild case of nodular myxi but I read somewhere else the other day that the myxi vaccine doesn't actually contain the myxi virus - it contains the smallpox virus which is similar, but not quite the same, so I'm not sure if it's possible for the vacc to trigger something like that or not. :oops:

Cloud's recently had nodular myxi and the single bump she developed on her nose went rock hard and then fell off. She had no medication for it at all.

If it's not getting any worse or spreading, there probably won't be a lot the vet can do about it but I think I'd at least give them a ring and say you're a bit concerned over the phone and see if they recommend taking her in or not. I also think it'd be worth mentioning in case they have a faulty batch of the vaccine. :wave:

Sorry to hear Orla's having problems again. I think she just likes to worry you :lol:.

As far as I know, there can be a bit of a lump after the injection, although I would have thought it would have cleared by now.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Part of the myxi vaccine should be given into the skin & can sometimes trigger a reactive lump which is nothing to worry about.

If the lump is red & getting bigger, it's infected which does need vet attention.

You're nearly there Georgie_f. The vaccine is a weakened live Shope virus which gives considerable, but not complete immunity to myxoma virus.
Both viruses belong to the same family as smallpox, but only affect rabbits.

Part of the myxi vaccine should be given into the skin & can sometimes trigger a reactive lump which is nothing to worry about.

If the lump is red & getting bigger, it's infected which does need vet attention.

You're nearly there Georgie_f. The vaccine is a weakened live Shope virus which gives considerable, but not complete immunity to myxoma virus.
Both viruses belong to the same family as smallpox, but only affect rabbits.

Ahh, gotcha! Thanks for explaining that Judy, I'd gotten myself all confused when I read about the myxi vaccine not containing myxi the other day! :oops::lol:

Thanks all, this bun just loves to worry me! :lol:

Theres a little hard scab appearing now so im just presuming se has sensitive skin & the injection irritated it.

Shes at the vets on Monday for her VHD so ill be reassured then. :D

On the vaccine data sheet it says that the lump should disappear in about 25 days so I wouldn't worry yet :)

Back