• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppy has a touch of bloat :-(

prettylupin

Wise Old Thumper
Seems to be one thing after another with my buns since I got back :cry:

Poppy was fine this morning - I even had to chase her around the lawn to get a windfall apple off her - she can pick them up and carry them in her mouth to get away from me taking it off her! :roll: She then came upstairs and wolfed down some dried herbs after eating lots of grass on the lawn, and the litter tray from last night and this morning is full with her droppings, I can't understand it.

I took some photos of her lying in the fireplace... but she then got up and stretched out across a bit of loft boarding in the corner of the room :? and then moved to her blanket - then up again and back to the fireplace stretching out across the stone.. started to think hmmmm! Fetched some home dried leaves but she wasn't interested, nor in grass... at which point I managed to pick her up using the element of surprise (Poppy does not get picked up easily) and medicated her and got some fluids in and rubbed her tummy. It was slightly bloated and VERY tender over one spot - so much so she leapt and kicked out slicing me right across my boobs.....ouch! :shock::oops: and i'm used to handling rabbits, she is very strong indeed and has such a kick, it must have been very sore her poor tum. She is now more comfortable and has kept the same position for the last half hour and i've managed to get her to eat some artichoke leaves and apple leaves off the tree - she will not touch anything else except a few profibre pellets - this is not like her at all. But atleast she has eaten some leaves now. :) She won't touch anything else, but is comfortable and not cold at all. I'm letting her rest for an hour to let the meds kick in.

(When she was impacted two years ago the only thing she would eat for 3 days was apple and jerusalem artichoke leaves - thank god it's not winter yet!)

The only thing I can think of is that they've had a totally natural diet for 2 weeks whilst we were away - no shop bought veg at all as we were surrounded by countryside. I've used Sainsbury's herbs and veg again this weekend - i'm convinced this has upset her gut bacteria again :cry:
Please can Poppy have some get well soon vibes? Thank you x

Oh no, poor Poppy :(
Hopefully it's just a pocket of gas and she'll shift it soon. Did she manage to eat any of the apple?

I'm so wary of shop bought leafy veg these days, especially the ones in sealed packets- you just don't know what's on them unless they're organic, plus they ferment so quickly.

I really hope her poorly tummy subsides soon xx

Oh no, poor Poppy :(
Hopefully it's just a pocket of gas and she'll shift it soon. Did she manage to eat any of the apple?

I'm so wary of shop bought leafy veg these days, especially the ones in sealed packets- you just don't know what's on them unless they're organic, plus they ferment so quickly.

I really hope her poorly tummy subsides soon xx

I'm getting more wary of them as time goes by! Chlorine is a definite component. I've had probs with Sainsbury's before, same with Tesco.
The only ones that don't cause upset are Waitrose (our local store) and when I wash those they are covered in sand so clearly not overly treated before packaging.

Yes she often eats quite a bit of apple before we catch her - we scour the lawn before they go out but she always manages to find one we've missed... it's only when you realise she is spending a LONG time on a particular patch of grass you find she has an apple! :roll: So there is a big possibility she has apple colic from too much scrumping! :roll: The apple tree this year has gone MAD and is covered with fruit - so much so we've had to put the run underneath to catch the windfalls so as not to brain any rabbits on their way down! :?:lol:

Thank you Lilbun, I know you are worried sick about TPC at the moment xx

I hope the meds start working quickly and Poppy starts eating normally soon.

That 'restlessness' is what I have found with Timmy when he has a bit of stassis. I think its a very 'human' trait, as I know whenever I have stomach pain I feel like wriggling around around to find a position where the pain is easier.

Vibes for Poppy and hope she lays off the scrumping for a while!:) xx

Vibes for Poppy. Lets hope she toots soon and shifts whats bothering her. I do feel for them when they have bloat, trapped wind can be sooo painful :(
xxx

Poppy says thank you very much for all the vibes, they seem to have worked :)

She has hopped in her tray and had a wee and poop and a scoffed a whole load more apple leaves and is flopped out in her favourite place beside the hearth stone looking a LOT more comfortable xx

ETA just examined the poops in the tray.... a lump of caec. a couple of damp oblong droppings (fur) and a proper strung dropping (more fur) - so it looks like it was fur all along!
We brush them EVERYDAY normally! Except at the end of last week we left them for 3 days without brushing due to being so busy. I had a strong feeling leaving it 3 days was a bad idea :( Oh well, atleast it has passed out now.... thumbs up for apple leaves :D

Last edited:
Sorry to hear Poppy has not been well today but I hope she is now through the worst of it and on the mend. She is so very pretty too! :love:

What a relief that Poppy is more comfortable.

Have you noticed the sudden outbreak of buns getting issues with fur balls over the last 7 days?
It's suddenly become quite nippy here.

Back