• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flopsy - GI Stasis, didnt save her, Flopsy has passed

Susan Smith

Young Bun
I have been here before about my adorable little 7 yr old lop bunny. I suspected that she has Ec going on and I have since worked out through loads of internet surfing that it was probably due to a weakness in the immune system due to a retrobulbar abcess. She has been OK due to drug management of all problems, but recently abcess seemed to be getting bigger.

On Tuesday we took her to another vet and they decided remove the offending molar. When she came from surgery she seemed great. yesterday she wasnt eating very well even though we tried coaxing her with all her favourites. She hasnt pooed now since yesterday night other than 3 tiny ones.

When I saw her this morning her tummy was solid so I phoned the vet and they told me to bring her right in. When in the car I cuddled her and she started to go floppy.

In the vet they grabbed her from me and put her on to oxygen right away and said they would get her body temp sorted and give her various drugs, which i never caught the name of as I was too upset. Tha was at 11.30am and I have to phone them at 2.30 to see what is happening.

Has anyone ever had a bunny survive after being this ill as I am absolutely distraught, she has been through so much and pulled through every time. I am wondering if she is just giving up. The vet doesnt thin it looks good but she hasnt phoned me yet to say anything has happened. I am hoping no news is good news.

If anyone has any positives to give me please do as I need something to hold on to.

Last edited:
Poor Flopsy :( Sounds like the vets are doing everything possible to help her. Sending lots of vibes for your girl, I really hope she will be okay xx

Lots of vibes for poor Flopsy :cry: I have heard of many buns who can pull through from death's door with all the right medical treatment, and it sounds like that is what she is getting. Thinking of you both xx

Oh dear poor bun and poor you :(
As petty lupin said buns can bounce back from being this poorly and it sounds like your vets are on the case so dont give up hope.
Any news yet???
Sending trillions of vibes xxxxx

I am so sorry to say that Flopsy passed away 10 minutes after my posting.

I am devastated, just seems so unfair after her fighting everything else. Think she was tired.

Thanks for your thoughts xx

Oh god I am so so sorry for your loss :cry::cry::cry:
Sounds like she'd just had enough. Shes not in any pain anymore.
My thoughts are with you xxxxxxxxxxx

I'm really really sorry :( Thoughts are with you right now.

Binky Free little Flopsy, no more pain now.

:cry::cry::cry:

God I never knew this would hurt be so sore, but it is so nice to know that others understand how special our little bunnies are to us

RIP my little Flopsy...sweet dreams baby xxx

Last edited:
:cry: I'm so sorry you lost her. She was lucky to have a Mummy who loved and took care of her so well.

Binky free Flopsy xxx

I'm so sorry to hear about Flopsy. :( You did everything you could for her.

Everyone here who has lost a bunny completely understands just how painful it is, and I'm sorry you're hurting so much just now. xx

Back