• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Somebunny is leaving special poos

kaths101

Warren Veteran
:? The last 2 mornings there has been 2 piles of special poo...
What causes this? I think i read before over eating of pellets - so I suppose now with the 4 of them all eating together - one might be getting more than their fair share!!

What can I do? Problem is I dont even know which bun is leaving them??
Do they need to see a vet?

Thanks

I take it you mean squidgy poo? Or little tiny ones joined up together? Do the buns seem fine otherwise? :?

Well I have never seen a 'special' poo as mine have always eaten them - Im assuming thats what they are - they are like grapes! about 8 little wet poos in a bunch

oh and yes they seem fine in themselves - eatin drinking etc

I see the occasional bunch of mini-grapes from Spenser - usually if I am just about to go out for a few hours and he wants to make sure I worry about him. :roll: He's on excel too, and probably gets too many pellets - I'm wary of cutting him down because he's not overweight, lives in a hutch not a shed, and it's getting a good bit colder. I'm also reluctant to change his food as he has already had one changeover in the 5 months he's been with me. :? It's more difficult for you because you don't know which bunny is leaving them. Spenser has been more likey to do this type of poo when he is just waking up from his afernoon doze.

I think lots of bunnies go through short phases of leaving caecotrophes - can be diet related, or due to stress. I remember Jester had a couple of days of leaving his when he first arrived, but soon settled down.

I think uneaten caecs can be a sign of a number of problems, but as I say, also just temporary reaction to change of food/environment etc. I would just keep an eye on the normal poo output and eating etc and if one of the buns seems a bit off, always worth a vet trip just to be safe.

Hopefully it's nothing to worry about and won't continue long.

do they smell really bad???

Alvin once left the special poops over the course of a week and they smelt terrible, then he got stasis so i believe his gut was unbalanced and he didnt eat them because they were bad.

on the other hand Holly leaves me little prezzies (3 to 4 piles) every day and has done since the day i got her, cutting out veg/pellets had no effect so she now has her full diet and i dont worry, im waiting for her to actually be ill before carting her off to the vets. i have seen her eating some and shes not poorly.. they only happen during the day and i am convinced she sleeps so deep she doesnt notice shes producing them.

personally i would only worry if they smell awful and even then id just keep an eye out for a stasis event. probiotics may help who ever has a bit of a tummy upset

Phoebe is leaving me these every day. I have cut out veg, but cant get her to eat alot of hay, she just nibbles.. not sure why either...

do they smell really bad???

Alvin once left the special poops over the course of a week and they smelt terrible, then he got stasis so i believe his gut was unbalanced and he didnt eat them because they were bad.

on the other hand Holly leaves me little prezzies (3 to 4 piles) every day and has done since the day i got her, cutting out veg/pellets had no effect so she now has her full diet and i dont worry, im waiting for her to actually be ill before carting her off to the vets. i have seen her eating some and shes not poorly.. they only happen during the day and i am convinced she sleeps so deep she doesnt notice shes producing them.

personally i would only worry if they smell awful and even then id just keep an eye out for a stasis event. probiotics may help who ever has a bit of a tummy upset

No they dont smell, please dont mention the S word as my 4 are getting on grandly at the mo, I dont need an ill one please!!

I will keep an eye on them, the only different I have made is the excel pellets seem to be bigger than usual - ive just opened a new pack and the pellets are about twice the size :?

No they dont smell, please dont mention the S word as my 4 are getting on grandly at the mo, I dont need an ill one please!!

I will keep an eye on them, the only different I have made is the excel pellets seem to be bigger than usual - ive just opened a new pack and the pellets are about twice the size :?

it is possible the bun who made them probably got disturbed mid meal ewwwwww they dont like them cold i believe lol... Holly's have never smelled bad and shes seen the vet loads and has passed every health check, 4 months on she would show signs of illness by now id think if it was bad to leave special poops :wave:

I read that Excel pellets are too rich for some rabbits and this sometimes give them an upset tummy or cause them not to eat caecotrophs (the special grape-like poos).
If it happens once in a while it's not something to worry about. If it happens several times, however, it could be a sign the rabbit diet is unbalanced; usually too rich in protein.

oh gods....all soft poo smells!!:shock::wave:

stress...diet....teeth probs..pain....can all lead to it....as can a bun having a mad day where they cant concentrate and a bit loopy..and sometimes come back hours later and go...ooh a treat...yummy:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back