• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your buns stay out in the rain?

Autumn

Warren Scout
It's really wet and horrible here and the bunnies are all out in the garden. They have free access to their hutch and shelter under it and a hideaway on the other side of the garden but they are all hopping around looking like drowned rats! :roll:I'm worried they are going to get too wet and cold but don't want to lock them up as they seem so happy.... :?

My 2 are out in their runs at the moment and it's raining. They're covered over so won't get wet but I worry about them getting cold and damp :roll: can't tell them though, they do go in if the rain gets too heavy. They just love to be outside :D

Yes if it chucked it down they would all go inside STRAIGHT away, but it's just that horrible persistant drizzle

I was just looking out of the window at one of mine...hes white and has the muddiest paws from sitting on the wet grass in the run while its raining :roll:

mine love the rain, poppy goes all silly and hop skips jumps everywhere :love: i cover them if it gets to heavy but afterwards I open the conservatry where its nice and warm and i wrap them in a towel they love it i never let them stay wet thou they always get a towel dry :D

:wave: No, Basil doesn't go outside if it's raining. His paranoid mummy is too worried about him getting wet and then getting a cold.:)

We used to cover half their run with tarp and leave the other half uncovered ....... they always sat in the uncovered area while it was raining!! :roll:

However, we've now constructed an aviary with a proper roof on instead so no more having to worry about them getting like drowned rats whilst I'm at work!! :thumb:

No mine dont seem to like the drizzly rain although grace dosent seem to mind actual showery rain. xx

Mine are out 24 /7 all weathers.

They have a shed to go into if they choose and there are sheltered bits outside.

They stay out 99% of the time by choice

Mine never used to like the rain but now it doesn't seem to bother them, they always stay out in the run sitting in it, getting drenched :roll: I do worry about them getting wet when its cold and not being able to dry properly, so if its really heavy rain I have over the last couple of days herded them back in the shed :oops:

We used to cover half their run with tarp and leave the other half uncovered ....... they always sat in the uncovered area while it was raining!! :roll:

I've tried that but the water always pools really badly, I worried it would either be too heavy for the mesh or if it was windy, suddenly blow the tarp so water just poured on top of them! Anybody got a way round it?

Mine never used to like the rain but now it doesn't seem to bother them, they always stay out in the run sitting in it, getting drenched :roll: I do worry about them getting wet when its cold and not being able to dry properly, so if its really heavy rain I have over the last couple of days herded them back in the shed :oops:

I've tried that but the water always pools really badly, I worried it would either be too heavy for the mesh or if it was windy, suddenly blow the tarp so water just poured on top of them! Anybody got a way round it?

It is a nightmare!! We used to weight ours down with bricks but like you say, it pooled really badly and would leak all over the place!! We were at one point thinking of screwing clear perspex sheets on the top of the run for the winter ........ which is fine if its cold/raining but I would imagine it would turn into a bit of a greenhouse on a sunny day??!

I spose you could get a sheet of corrugated PVC from B&Q and weight that down on it .... maybe even make it slightly higher at one end so the rain would run off it? (maybe a brick under one end)??!

We had such a downpour one night the weight of the rain pooling actually snapped the wood on one of my runs! Thankfully mine are put in their hutches overnight so no harm done. Who knew water was so heavy.

I've now got some small hutches cheap out the freeads which they use as shelters if it rains, or rather they are supposed to but normally they just sit in the rain. :roll:

Back