• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A bit concerned about Rum

Hessen

Banned
Buns are in a large gated enclosure downstairs overnight, but during the day we open it up and they have the freedom of the downstairs of the house.

Raisin will bound out and have a hop around for a bit before then getting bored and go back inside to munch some hay, but Rum doesn't even bother coming out and I'm a bit worried about her.

She seems happy enough, she will walk around in the enclosure all happily but when it's opened up she'll just poke her head out and then decide she doesn't want to come out and play and will just stay inside.

She's eating, weeing, pooing and last vet check said she was fine. She's only 1 and a half, surely she should be a bit more energetic?

Maybe her bunny body-clock is in rest mode during the day. Spenser's certainly is, but my friend's mini-lop does tend to make more use of whatever freedom he gets (he's outside, but if they're in sometimes gets the run of the garden). Do they have toys or boxes to play with outside the enclosure? It may be that rum is quite happy with her space and doesn't feel the need to go beyond it. Hope she's OK! :wave:

Buns are in a large gated enclosure downstairs overnight, but during the day we open it up and they have the freedom of the downstairs of the house.

Raisin will bound out and have a hop around for a bit before then getting bored and go back inside to munch some hay, but Rum doesn't even bother coming out and I'm a bit worried about her.

She seems happy enough, she will walk around in the enclosure all happily but when it's opened up she'll just poke her head out and then decide she doesn't want to come out and play and will just stay inside.

She's eating, weeing, pooing and last vet check said she was fine. She's only 1 and a half, surely she should be a bit more energetic?

Biscuit is the same during the day, he tends to only come out for a quick hop during the day if he's free-range...but at night, at 11:33 (i've been watching every night last week) he gets a massive surge of bunnenergy and starts doing bunny 500's and binkies everywhere. Perhaps as Susie says, she's just not so enticed to be out and about.

If you are concerned though, maybe give a vet a call? Or wait for someone other than me who knows nothing to say :wave:

Scarlett tends to laze about the house all day too, she's more energentic when shes out and about in the garden...

Buns are most active at dawn and dusk. Most of mine are pretty lazy during the day.

It might also be she is a little more tmid and feels more secure in the area she is most used to.

Just to add, because I'm a bit of a night person myself I'm usually up till about 2:00am each night and the pen is open until I go to bed.

Can't even remember the last time I saw her binky :(

Just to add, because I'm a bit of a night person myself I'm usually up till about 2:00am each night and the pen is open until I go to bed.

Can't even remember the last time I saw her binky :(

That's interesting. :? Most rabbits would have their binky hour by 2am. Has she always had a quieter temperament?

My Smirnoff has always been that way. I've never seen him binky & he has free range time & 2 whole rooms the rest of the time.

He's 6 now, but I got him as a 3 month old

If her behaviour has changed then a vet check might be a good idea, but if she's always been quite it might just be her nature. Some of my bunnies binky 24/7 and some hardly ever but I don't think they are and happier than each other, just lazier.

If it's a new thing and she wasn't like this before, I would get her bloods check (about £50), it's amazing what they throw up sometimes, hope she's back to normal soon.

Holly is loads more lazier than Alvin. she would rather eat hay than bound about. the only time i saw her binky was the first week she came to live with me, since she settled in and became boss shes soooooo chilled she hardly ever moves but Alvin can be quite active for a lazy sod..

Thanks all.

I don't know if she's just being a funny moo.

If I pick her up and bring her out of the pen and put her down in the hallway, she'll happily walk about, groom, snuggle with Raisin and then won't go back in the Pen without having to be picked up again!

She is quite a chilled, lazy bun, they both are really but Raisin does get that freedom adrenaline rush from the pen being opened that Rum doesn't seem to have.

It's not something that's happened suddenely, she's just gradually become less active since we installed the pen (previously they were completely free range) - I don't know if she's sulking or if she's just happy in her little area.

Oh how I wish they could talk!

Thanks all.

I don't know if she's just being a funny moo.

If I pick her up and bring her out of the pen and put her down in the hallway, she'll happily walk about, groom, snuggle with Raisin and then won't go back in the Pen without having to be picked up again!

She is quite a chilled, lazy bun, they both are really but Raisin does get that freedom adrenaline rush from the pen being opened that Rum doesn't seem to have.

It's not something that's happened suddenely, she's just gradually become less active since we installed the pen (previously they were completely free range) - I don't know if she's sulking or if she's just happy in her little area.

Oh how I wish they could talk!

I totally agree.

Hope she's ok

Hmmm, does sound like more of a character trait if she's gradually got less active rather than illness-related. But, as with all things bunny, always worth a vet check just to be safe.

Hopefully it's nothing to worry about and she just likes hanging out in her pen.

My two nearly always have freerange of the upstairs, but choose to spend most of it hanging out under the bed - until I want to shut them in their room for the night when suddenly freedom becomes much more appealing!

How does the door open? Is it a ramp or something? I am just thinking, you say she is alright if you take her out. Is there perhaps something she is nervy of?

Back