• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stuck with bonding

Aimz1986

Young Bun
I am trying to bond my two bunnys. One male (neutured) and one female (spayed). The bunnys usually live outside but to bond I have brought them in on dates in our study which is neutral. I have done this every day for 4 weeks now and when inside they get on really well. Lots of grooming and snuggling. As the rabbits live outside I have tried to go to the next step of sectioning off a bit of the run and letting them both go in the small section together. Eachtime I do this I have to step in and separate as the bunnys either start to fight or be on the verge of fighting.

Does anyone have any advice. Eventually I want them to be in a hutch together and then I can attatch the run.

By the sound of it the run is non neutral, if this is the case fighting can be expected and is perfectly normal. You need to use totally neutral and ensure that you desmell any area you put them into.

Your next bonding session should be the last where you start and then continue without separating them. This must be done on neutral territory and they must be left for at least 48 hours before they are moved to the hutch. Whcih you have in the meanwhile have scrubbed with vinegar.

There is something I have written about bonding rabbits today which I will find a link to which may help.

I totally agree with janice. If they are fine inside in a neutral space, then it likely that they are becoming territorial when they get in the run and the scents on it are setting off the fight.

I would keep them inside for an extended period so they are really used to each other. Meantime scrub out the hutch with hutch cleaner (Wilkinsons and Pets at Home do them for about £2/3) or white vinegar and water. Scrub the run all over with it too. Vinegar will neutralise their scent.

What is the longest period they have been happily together? Could you move the run to a new part of the garden so it's all new to them?

An alternative would be to put them in the cleaned hutch and supervise them closely and don't let them in the run until they seem to be bonding well in there first.

It sounds very promising though so I would just persevere.

Back