• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what do you put over your mesh windows in winter?

kaths101

Warren Veteran
I have a shed with mesh windows and I have just come home from work to the bunnies paddling :cry::cry: it has rained so much today that it is going through the mesh windows - I have just done a bodge job of our shower curtain :oops: and some cable ties which has made it waterproof but what can I use as a permenant solution - something I could take down or put on on a rainy / cold day??

I havent got the perspex windows that the shed came with!

I am soaked through!!

How about a piece of wood that could fix on with those black twiddly type thingies? sorry, hope you know what I mean :oops:

I would be tempted to nail/staple some clear plastic, some shower curtains are nice and clear.....just to keep the rain and out still let any light in.... you dont want it pitch black in there. I would prob say, if you did this, you might want a layer on each side of the mesh.... incase the wind blew the outer layer away or something daft!! :wave: Good luck!

I use a sheet of corrugated plastic. Not sure what its called but its used for roofs on sheds for example. I like it as it leaves air gaps all the way down the window to let air in.

I would be tempted to nail/staple some clear plastic, some shower curtains are nice and clear.....just to keep the rain and out still let any light in.... you dont want it pitch black in there. I would prob say, if you did this, you might want a layer on each side of the mesh.... incase the wind blew the outer layer away or something daft!! :wave: Good luck!

ah yes good idea - I do want something clear - like a shower curtain but I didnt think of putting it on the inside!
I wonder how I attach it though - I want to kinda roll it up and down hmmm

I can't better the ideas already posted, but good-luck! :wave: I have a pretty makeshift but quite successful hutch cover made from heavy duty clear plastic from B&Q. I'm going to put some over the side of the under-run, as it does tend to get damp and Spenser particularly likes to sit there! :roll:

Hmm..... hard one...... how about Velcro?? Its water proof..... you would have to staple it to the wood though.... and sew/glue it to the curtain?

My boys have got shutters, which we close at night and also if it's raining or very windy/cold.

They are wooden frames, hinged and covered in the plastic fabric you can buy by the metre (Dunelm Mill, The Range etc) - the one I've got still lets the light in, but you can get it clear, or clear with patterns on too.

BunniesandpiggiesSept2010006.jpg

BunniesandpiggiesSept2010005.jpg

On M&M hutch we have shutter made of wood with the 'twisty' latches that
*lilly* mentions

Image010-2.jpg

Image011-1.jpg

Image014.jpg

On C&C's hutch we have just cut some perspex to size (easy to do, draw measurments on it with a marker pen and cut with a jig or hand saw)
We used the perspex from a 'cilp Art' photo frame from Wilkos (very cheap - and you may even get the size you want ready done?)

But we dont have pics yet ..

Photo frame..ignore the design as it's the clear cover you need

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Clip-F...1UK7TXiDIqMquxbF1hz+2FuFi4pN9FXm WJyJ4enyfw==

ventilation

Ideally something that sheds the worst of the rain, but ventilates - I like the shutter idea, or those cupboard doors that have slanted wood in. A cheaper version comes in offset fencing, where the air and light can get through. I like roofs that overhang so the front can remain open-ish. If your hutch is placed in a sheltered place, turning it may avert the worst of the wet, no? Ours has its back to the prevailing wind, and the bit of overhang there is is usually good enough if the wind is coming from an unusual direction. I have aleways assumed that good ventilation is important to bun health, but I suppose warrens can be stuffy... Experts on here, can you advise?

Back