• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is it time?

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
to be putting the layers on the rabbit hutches?? at the moment I just have bin bags over there hutches, just to keep the wind and rain off, but when it gets really cold i put old curtains under the binbags to keep them warmer! tho im hoping/praying that before christmas or soon after I will have the neuted and in the willow palace, so is it to early, cos i no if I put them on to soon, they won't feel te benifits when its freezing! x

If you havent already purchased the willow palace I would suggest reviewing what you are buying, as this coop offers very limited protected space for rabbits. Much of the lower area will need to be covered to offer them the protection they require in the winter months.

If you havent already purchased the willow palace I would suggest reviewing what you are buying, as this coop offers very limited protected space for rabbits. Much of the lower area will need to be covered to offer them the protection they require in the winter months.

its the only option i have :( cos im not aloud a shed or wendy house, at night in the winter i will shut them in the big bed area so they can snuggle up together and keep warm.

I have tried every option going, but my mum will not allow sheds or wendy houses or a hutch with a run, as it has to be flat up against a wall cos its on the patio, they will have a seperate run to go in during the day, we're making the space underneth the tramploene into a run for the summer next year.

There are plenty of options of hutches which will have a similiar footprint to the coop you are looking at which offer a far greater space and better winter protection than the one you are considering. Price wise they are a bit more expensive however they would work out at a similiar price if you are to spend almost £200 on the coop plus insulating to make it usable for your rabbits.

Kernow make excellent hutches to order and are superior hutches, have a look at post 2 http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=228276&highlight=kernow to give you an idea of what they make. They make exactly to your requirments and these would go up against your wall and could be the same size as the one you are looking at.

There are plenty of options of hutches which will have a similiar footprint to the coop you are looking at which offer a far greater space and better winter protection than the one you are considering. Price wise they are a bit more expensive however they would work out at a similiar price if you are to spend almost £200 on the coop plus insulating to make it usable for your rabbits.

Kernow make excellent hutches to order and are superior hutches, have a look at post 2 http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=228276&highlight=kernow to give you an idea of what they make. They make exactly to your requirments and these would go up against your wall and could be the same size as the one you are looking at.

would tose hutches be sutable for 3 rabbits tho? and in the willow palace they ave like a little run area in the bottom,but they wudnt get that in a normal hutch, oo and that website is dow at the mo :/ x

I hope that this does not sound too blunt.

Most rescues suggest for 2 average sized rabbits 36 square feet - average oif a 6 foot hutch on a 6 x 4 run Hutch - 10 800 Run - 21 600 = 32 400 square cm.

Most rescues suggest for 3 average rabbits 48 square feet - average 6 x 2 run - 10 800 square cm. Run - 32 400 = 43 200 square feet.

The run of a Willow Palace is 200 x 86 cm = 17200 cm square.
The bedrrom compartment is 68 x 100 (max) = 6800 cm square.
Bedroom + Run = 24 000 cm

Please read the reviews on http://www.petsathome.com/shop/willow-palace-guinea-pig-and-rabbit-hutch-by-pets-at-home-16078

The 7 x 3 foot hutch which is double storey as shown in the photos I linked to are 37 800 square cm.

This actually demonstrates that the protected space in the Willow Palace is only 6800 cms square whereas the protected area of the 7 x 3 hutch is actually 18900 cms square which is almost 3 times the space of the palace.

If you look at the overall space of the willow palace it is only 24000 square cm whereas the available space of a 7 x 3 double storey is 37800 square feet.

Male rabbits need adequate space and living in a confined space which is what they will be in a Willow Palace may make them more liable to fight and may injure each other.

Please for the sake of your rabbits reconsider your purchase.

I hope that this does not sound too blunt.

Most rescues suggest for 2 average sized rabbits 36 square feet - average oif a 6 foot hutch on a 6 x 4 run Hutch - 10 800 Run - 21 600 = 32 400 square cm.

Most rescues suggest for 3 average rabbits 48 square feet - average 6 x 2 run - 10 800 square cm. Run - 32 400 = 43 200 square feet.

The run of a Willow Palace is 200 x 86 cm = 17200 cm square.
The bedrrom compartment is 68 x 100 (max) = 6800 cm square.
Bedroom + Run = 24 000 cm

Please read the reviews on http://www.petsathome.com/shop/willow-palace-guinea-pig-and-rabbit-hutch-by-pets-at-home-16078

The 7 x 3 foot hutch which is double storey as shown in the photos I linked to are 37 800 square cm.

This actually demonstrates that the protected space in the Willow Palace is only 6800 cms square whereas the protected area of the 7 x 3 hutch is actually 18900 cms square which is almost 3 times the space of the palace.

If you look at the overall space of the willow palace it is only 24000 square cm whereas the available space of a 7 x 3 double storey is 37800 square feet.

Male rabbits need adequate space and living in a confined space which is what they will be in a Willow Palace may make them more liable to fight and may injure each other.

Please for the sake of your rabbits reconsider your purchase.

ive seen some of the pics of the other hutches and im sawying more to them now :) they look reli big! nd I like that they will make for how u want it, cos I would want the bed are abit bigger so they can have more room in there bed etc, do you have some of his hutches??

i am just worried about how much they cost! cos i'll be paying for it on my own, I ideally wanted my rabbits neuted and in together by the time the weather really gets cold, but i imagen those hutches to be afew hundred so may have to wait intill next year :/ x

in the willow palace they ave like a little run area in the bottom,but they wudnt get that in a normal hutch, oo and that website is dow at the mo :/ x

I think that's very deceptive though, because the 'run' area is at the expense of covered, sheltered area so the overall usable area is far less. You could get a 6*4 run with a 6*2 happyhutch or similar on top of it and it would only take up the same amount of space; or get a really decent hutch which would still give a similar amount of overall room but would be completely enclosed so able to keep your buns warm and dry throughout the winter no matter how much it rains. As Janice pointed out, a double storey 7*3 provides much more space and is much more 'user friendly and also means that your buns can happily enjoy lots of covered, dry space all year round :)

The 'inside' area on the Willow Palace is nowhere near big enough for buns to be shut into for any length of time, nor does it provide enough space for your buns to live comfortably during winter in particular.

The Willow Palace looks too small for 3 rabbits. And the quality of the wood is quite poor. You can get much better setups for this price. You need to convince your mother to let you have something of better quality. Why is against a Wendy House? It is a lot safer regarding foxes, and you don't have so much trouble with the cold weather.

The Willow Palace looks too small for 3 rabbits. And the quality of the wood is quite poor. You can get much better setups for this price. You need to convince your mother to let you have something of better quality. Why is against a Wendy House? It is a lot safer regarding foxes, and you don't have so much trouble with the cold weather.

cos it is going on the patio and she says it will be to big, which to be honest it will be cos for 3 rabbits wud need a rather big wendy house whereas the double hutches i am looking at now are, 7-7-1/2 long and 3 foot deep she dusnt mind it being long cos it is going up against the fence, but she dusnt want it taking up to much room on the patio x

i am just worried about how much they cost! cos i'll be paying for it on my own, I ideally wanted my rabbits neuted and in together by the time the weather really gets cold, but i imagen those hutches to be afew hundred so may have to wait intill next year :/ x

If you buy the Palace you are spending £200 plus you will need to board up some of it and you will need to get them an additional run. Looking at the feedback about the hutch on the website I sent you, I would think that within the year you will be looking at buying something else for them.

If you end up buying a decent hutch for about £350 you will spend a bit more than you will be paying for the Palace, however that hutch will still be in use when you are on your next set of rabbits.

If you havent the money at the moment save it up, even borrow it from your mum it is an investment where you will end up in the long run saving yourself money and in addition your rabbits will have a far better quality of life.

Seriously... as I said on your other thread the quality of the willow palace is awful. Mine has had to be altered to make it suitable for the bunnies. I've had to put thick plastic sheeting round the back and sides of the "run" and a lino base, then I have a 6' x 4' attached to the front of it. The roof was replaced within 6 months, and the nest box fell off - lucky it was in the day, Imagine what could have happened if it was in the middle of the night!!

For 3 rabbits you will have to have an extra run attached to it, which will take up more space than any of the other housing that has already been suggested to you. Honestly, I cant see 3 rabbits being comfortable in it at all.

i showed my mum the pics of the links to the other hutches and she DIDN'T say no, tho I have to fund it myself as she can't afford it what with christmas etc, but i need to save up to get the 3 of them neuted and bonded first! so its looking a good possibility but its a future plan maybe for next year!

Back