• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what is your bunnys feeding routine?

beccimarie

Mama Doe
just wanted to see what other people feed there buns and when and how much i.e 8 oclock egg cup of pellets half a cup of greens.. ect :D:wave:

6.30 two pellets each to say hello and open up (obviously they have almost starved overnight) Hay.

8.00 Hay and greens (mine have a bowl of large-ish leaves and herbs, plus a small bit of parsnip/carrot/pear)

6.00 Hay and one crunchie each

9.00 one crunchie (to get them in :roll: ) Then hay and eggcup full of pellets

Last edited:
6.00 am three types of veg and herbs e.g. basil parsley, thyme, mint, cabbage, brocoli, pak choy, cauliflower occassionally carrot.

They also get a handful of treat hay e.g. orchard grass which they always eat after their veg.

When I get home about 5.30 they get litter trays changed with fresh hay added to which I pick grass, dandelions and plantain.

They also get their pellets which varies from bunny to bunny. Honey has bunny basics about 6 pellets, Merlin and Wesley have a mix of Careplus, science selective and bunny basics and Frankie and Kassy have rabbit royale a bit bowl because Frankie is struggling with his weight as he has a respiratory infection at the mo.

They then have either a fenegreek crunchie or barley ring as a treat together with another basket of orchard grass.

6.15am half of their pellets (Allen & Page) + fresh hay (7.30 on a weekend)

6pm 2nd half of their pellets + maybe a fenugreek crunchie/carroty

10.30pm big bowl of veggies, usually 3 out of spring greens, kale, cabbage, brocoli, parsley, carrot tops, carrot (treat), cauliflower leaves, celery.
+ fresh hay

If we didnt give them their veg last thing at night they would never come in to go to bed!

at the moment mine is
6.30 am- half their pellets, 2 spring greens each, small bowl of veg or herbs and lots and lots of hay plus a crunchie each
5.00pm- more hay and 2 hours free range in the garden eating grass,strawberry leaves and apple sticks
7.00pm bed time a crunchie each, 2 more spring greens, the other half of there pellets and another small bowl of veg or herbs and again lots of hay

do you think this is ok? fo two buns one is a rex the other is a dwarf cross i find it hard to balance them as they are different sizes but wont eat unless there together!

Spenser gets a small bowl of pellets 8am and 6pm, and a bowl of mixed greens at these times. He has hay all the time, and also gets a sprinking of readigrass and plantain daily. He gets a small slice of apple often but not every day. I've tried to correct the hay/pellets balance, but it is difficult because he is a fairly big bunny but not at all overweight. My parents (who know very little about rabbits) are apt to tell me I am starving him! Spenser has only this week discovered the delights of fenugreek crunchies, but I'm determined to keep the upper hand on these. :wave:

8.00am a bowl of mixed veg between the 4 of them - a mixture of spring greens, broccoli, herbs - whatever I have in... once a week they get a piece of apple each...
I top up hay baskets and change litter tray to fresh hay while they are nomming veg
Top up water bowls

5.00pm More fresh hay

8.00pm A handful of pellets each

10.00pm Another handful of fresh hay before locking them up for the night
Top up water bowls

8-9am - fresh hay and dried herbs.

7-8pm - fresh hay and dried herbs
8-9pm - plate of veggies or weeds/leaves

A run and graze in the garden morning and night - grass, apple leaves etc.
In summer I tend to give veggies in the afternoon also to increase hydration.

Fresh hay in hay rack in the morning - approx 7am....Plus Veggie treat to say good morning!

Litter tray clean & refill of hay every other day at approx 5.15pm (but top up with extra hay on the days its not cleaned)....While tray being cleaned turned out into grass run where they can graze until approx 9.30pm...

Re-fill hay rack approx 9.30pm when buns back in hutch area.

10.30-12.00pm Handful of pellets each (I know I need to cut this, but doing so gradually), plus a large cupful of Veg/Greens (mix of Parsley, Basil, Rocket, Spinach, Brocolli, Cauliflower & leaves, Peas & Pods, Brussel Sprouts, Cucumber, Carrot/Apple/Bananna (treat)). This is usually consumed within about half hour.

Usually a quick check half hour after dinner is served, for an extra Hay top up & bedtime till the morning.

7am - Half their pellets, plus a quarter round of bread each
(Malcs absolute favourite - he does a little dance when he sees bread!)

After work (3ish) cabbage OR carrot (love carrot tops)

10pm the other half of their pellets and sometimes half an apple

plus constant supply of hay which C&C love but M&M dont! :shock:

Malcy and his bread

Veg at about 7am when they get let out of the sheds and pellets at about 8-9pm when they get shut away again. Also top up their hay in the morning and evening and clean litter tray with fresh hay in every day

7am half their pellets and hay. 12 noon veg ie cabbage, carrot, parsley sometimes broccoli and excel mixed hay with dandelion. 6pm hay and a few pellets, 11pm hay and rest of their pellets!

All the rabbits at Hopper Haven are fed a handful of A&P in the hour before dark and a bit of veg. Feeding at any other time would mean mutiny at bed time. This way most of them race me to the hutches and leap in to wait for their food. Some have to run around the hutch first (Octavia), circle my ankles and try and bite me(Cookie), wait for me to pick them up (Sweetie) or perform some other individual ritual first.

Saturdays when we have had visitors tends to be the hardest day to put them away as they get extra veg!

I'm a little confused, bread for rabbits? Ours get: 7.30am handful of pellets and hay top up if needed, 8pm cabbage, parsnip, apple, carrot, pepper -egg cup full in total - and a net / basket of overflowing with hay. I get through at least an 80 litre bin of hay a day for 7 buns and 3 gpigs with the pigs pulling theirs out of the rack and weeing on it, a small amount gets wasted! The indoor buns get the same but those who don't have veg due to 2 being too young and one having sensitive tum-megacolon issues, get a treat ball with a scoop of protexin fibre pellets instead of veg. Our long haired bun gets his veg and fibre pellets. I don't feed any treats daily... A barley ring or a yog drop once a month if they're lucky. Sounds mean but I know they're no good for their tums as part of a daily diet. 5 years or so ago I used to give treats daily, but now I know better. Every now and again, for training purposes only I will use a tiny bit of rich tea biscuit-we're talking less than half a cm square. By training I mean litter, name and trust training, the daily bit of biscuit stops once the goal is achieved. But this is only done for new buns. :)

I don't think bread for buns is good :?

My two get 1/2 a cup of pellets (between them) and veggies in the evening. Hay is topped up as is needed.

Parsley says he didn't realise he had a routine . . . just eats whatever passing people profer and he can scrounge from the kitchen and depending if someone accidentally left the bantam enclosure open or the hay shed door ajar . . . but he is fibbing as he has his greens twice daily and pellets the same - but times vary as our household is a very busy one!

(PS bantam food is NOT recommended for rabbits - but Parsley has a cast iron stomach - a rarity in rabbits but a blessing with such an escapologist!)

8am- litter change so huge pile of fresh hay. 2x15ml measure of pellets. fresh water. dried hawthorn and bramble leaves scattered ontop of the hay pile.

6pm - 1 fenugreek crunchy each. top up hay +large handful of oat wheat and barley hay

7pm - plate of veg....fresh bramble leaves, fresh hawthorn leaves still on twigs, basil, small handful of kale, 1 romaine leaf.

11pm - top up hay, 2x15ml measure of pellets. few more dried leaves scattered on hay

i try to keep to this routine every day but it will probably change when im working again.

Hay
Breakfast - small cup of pellets and Kale
Hay all day
Teatime - Broccoli, carrot and parsnips
More Hay
Bedtime - a few treats and hay!

Also sometimes a pot of something yummy from the greenhouse! Corridander, rocket, dandelions etc.....

Back