• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How soon after a spay (GA?) can a VHD vacc be given?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
As above please :)

Ginger related - she was spayed 24th September (Friday) and will be coming back here (all things being good) Friday 1st October.

She will not have been VHD vacc'd but has been myxi vacc'd. Is there any minimum period i should be waiting?

Ta in advance guys and gals.

:wave:

I'm not entirely sure, but I think I've seen 2 weeks mentioned as an appropriate amount of time between different injections or neuter/injection.

I always wait 2 weeks before I do the next thing to a bunny, unless it is an emergency as it gives their immune system time to recover.

My vet must be wrong then, or maybe it was because charlie was 18 months-2 years when i got him and had never had any vet care before. x

Your vet isn't wrong, just everyone has different opinions. My vets will vaccinate after 10 days if wound has healed well and everything is ok. I would be happy to vaccinate after 10 days if rabbit is back to full health.
I have just had Lucy vaccinated 11 days after her operation and she was fine and vet was happy to vaccinate.

Thats ok i just go on the advice of my vet who is incredibly bunny savvy after all they are qualified to say yay or nay :)

I've also had vaccinations done at 10 day post-op checks from my rabbit-savvy vet :wave: in fact I think my old one did a vaccination at a 3 day check for Zero :? could be wrong though I can't remember, it was a while ago :oops:

I suppose it just depends on how well they recover :) and on your vet's own personal opinion.

My cat vet wouldnt vacc Gus with his eye infection.But said it was fine to vacc a week after.
A castration isnt as invasive as a spey, but if bun is fully well, then 10 days shouldnt be a problem.Same for humans,Isnt it????

Back