• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Booster safe or not??

Tiabrac

Alpha Buck
I was talking to a woman the other day about animal care. She told me that she has been seeing a vet who delivers both medical and homeopathic care. Apparently she has been told that boosters cause liver damage over time and that is why a lot of animals become ill in later age and that the homeopathic route is just as effective as the boosters but without the damage.

Anyone else been told this??:?

I have heard a lot about the over use of boosters however I think the diseases we are trying to avoid by having boosters are so horrible so I would not want to take the risk of my animals catching a disease which can be prevented by a booster, I follow the advice given by my vets, I think it is important to find a vet who you trust.

Yes I agree. I would be far to worried not to give boosters. I think it's one of those dammed if you do dammed if you don't scenarios.:roll:

A member of this forum who is sadly no longer with us, used homeopathic vaccines..she lost some of her much loved rabbits to VHD and then warned people to use the standard vacs

I think that, because animals can't speak for themselves and say which they'd want, you really need to make a decision based on your knowledge of what is the most tried and proven course of action.

For me, I'd definitely want to see some solid evidence that the homoeopathic route works before I stopped vaccinating.

I think the alternative route is good for us because we know if it works, but my animals will always have the boosters unless there is a good reason for not.

I must admit I do worry with some vets though. My Poppy has had an op for every year of her life (7) due to recurring lumps. They now want to put her on Chemotherapy which I don't want to do. I think that she has been though enough and the drug is not licenced in the UK which means importing it from France. Every time she has an op. she is very ill after with her skin dying around the wound. Hubby wants her to have the op, I think not, but I don't want her to suffer either way. What to do. What to do.

I thought the homeopathic vaccines were not a preventative and only work once the animal actually has the disease :?

By all means look into alternative routes, but be sure you have solid evidence before you change how you look after your buns, not just hearsay.

If I beleived everything some randomer told me, I'd also be wearing a tinfoil hat to protect against evil rays, and disowning my goth friends because they're 'full of the devil'. :roll: I've not seen one shred of reliable evidence that homeopathy works.

I didn't explain very well did I :roll: not as if you know what's in my head!

I was thinking of for my dog Poppy, definitely not my buns they are only having what's required by the vet. I have a different vet for them who came highly recommended but I won't change Poppy to them because they are better with rabbits.

I think a lot of animals become ill later in life because they live a lot longer- partially thanks to vaccines. I grew up in a working class council estate in the 70's and so many dogs died young due to distemper- you never hear of it now thanks to vaccinations. I would always vaccinate my animals, having seen the first hand effect of parvo virus-my shetland collie, thankfully surivived it before the vaccine was in use. The only reason we see less of these diseases is because a high percentage of animals are vaccinated, but there are more cases appearing up here because people aren't vaccinating due to the recession.

Back