• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"Rabbit IBS"

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Do you believe this actually exists? Ralph has got terrible diarrhea again today (he had it last about a month ago) and he seems to be alternating each month between a bout of stasis and a bout of diarrhea. The vet calls it his "rabbit IBS," but I'm not so sure.

It's never serious enough for it to not be cleared up within a couple of days, but I'm thinking perhaps he needs some anti-biotics or something?

I would take him to the vet today (like I have done every other time he's had it) but I know she'll just give me more fibreplex and biolapis to give him which I've got anyway and am giving him now...

No advice really as I am no expert but I am sorry to hear Ralph suffers so much with his tummy.

Would a probiotic help at all?

Do you think that means there is an underlying problem?

I've never heard of IBS but I'm no expert. I would have thought they should be able to offer tests or something and not just put it down to IBS. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will come along shortly.

one of the vets i saw once compared Alvins Stasis to the human IBS. he said just like humans some bunnies have tummy issues and no-one knows why.

im not sure what i beleive tbh. some on RU say thats theres an underlying cause we just havent found yet but loads of vets have just said hes prone so the ibs thing makes sense to me :?

We see quite a number of these 'IBS' type bunnies. So far 100% have had high levels of E cuniculi antibodies so I am suspicious of a neurological cause of erratic caecal movement. Unfortunately the definitive diagnostic test would be biopsy of the caecum and other sections of the intestines but this is a very dangerous procedure in these cases as the caecal wall is so fragile and very poor at healing so we can only treat supportively and ensure diet is as low in sugar and high in fibre as possible.

when Alvin had blood tests he was negative for EC and his other organs were ok apart from his stress hormone was unusually high even for a rabbit :?

we havent tried x-rays yet but he is so much better on a wilder diet :D even the last blip didnt get as bad as to create stasis poops.

Marie, would doing an EC blood test be any benefit.

It would give another snippet of information. However, I'm reluctant to pin the blame on EC as so many rabbits are positive on blood test. I would give the 28day panacur course to any bunny with this condition as a precaution.

Donna - we' ve found the same, that diet is key to reducing the clinical signs. Lots of natural weeds, grass and hay. No pellets and root veggies and they do a lot better but never completely shake the problem although episodes are milder.

Maybe you should come down here and have a chat with Jason Burgess at Woods, hes the rabbit expert around here, he'll be able to tell you whether rabbit IBS exists or not. He comes highly recommended, even by Alice. :wave: :)

Have you tried probiotics etc? They are quite expencive but might be cheaper if bought in bulk maybe.... I use it for my elderly bun who seems to have softer poos these days and it really helps.

Having 4 buns from the same family, all of whom have the same diet, I think rabbit IBS is a real possibility.

Only certain foods effect Clo. In the past fortnight he has had runny poos twice, each time after eating a few apple leaves.

I do for him the same as I do for my own IBS - I keep a food diary. If anything differs I am able to eliminate rogue foods, and keep Clo's guts moving properly.

Smokey is prone to stasis. With her, it often seems to be triggered by changes in weather (hot to cold, wet to dry). Having said this, her brother died at 5 months from gastric problems, so perhpas it is something genetic too.

Whilst my bunnies never had diarrhoea, they had stasis caused by EC (which caused a permanent problem, probably due to it remaining untreated for so long :(). I found taking them off pellets and giving them a hay and dry herb diet helped immensely, and was life-prolonging.

Thanks everybody for your replies.. very, very helpful. Think I'm going to go back to the vets.

Ralph is also only on hay now.

One thing that confuses me is whether dandelions are considered "greens" or not? Are they good things to feed a bun with a runny tummy?

Thanks everybody for your replies.. very, very helpful. Think I'm going to go back to the vets.

Ralph is also only on hay now.

One thing that confuses me is whether dandelions are considered "greens" or not? Are they good things to feed a bun with a runny tummy?

Dandelions are a diuretic, so make a bunny pee more.

My boys get hawthorn leaves every day now - they worked wonders for Clo's bum, and even the other boys got bigger poops after starting on Hawthorn leaves.

Back