• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Funny moult?

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
A lot of Lucky's fluffy soft fur has been coming out and his thicker fur is making him look very cwtchy and podgy. :lol: But i'm a little concerned because he has a little patch on his neck where he's going bald.

He's a cross lionhead so usually has a mane but it's usually soft and fluffy - much like the fur that's been coming off him.

Should i be worried about it? Or do you think it'll grow back?

When we play/stroke him, we are now leaving that area alone to try and stop it worsening.

Here's a pic:

luckybald.jpg

No and nothing has changed, diet or anything wise. :? Although we have stopped bringing him into the house as we've been advised about temperature changes being too much for him. But we spend a lot of him with him in the outhouse.

any chance he has mites or has the vet ruled that out?

I checked him over carefully - my aunty is a dog groomer and suggested that. I've not noticed scratching either and he doesnt come into contact with other animals.

He's in at the vets in the week so i will get them to check him out thoroughly too.

It's baffled me. I'm wondering if it's the stress of not coming into the house? He did love it soo much.

is probably just the moult hun i only said mites because the bloke i used to work with had to get injections for mites but the vet spotted it straight off and pulled a patch of fur out without any effort at all.

I remember being terrified that Stella got bald patches last year but the hair all grew back, who'd of thought chipmunks moult too :shock:

Suppose it makes sense that chipmunks would moult too.

I hope it does grow back though - i'm worried because it's obviously going to get colder.

Hopefully by then he'll have Daisy to snuggle up to for warmth! :)

tabitha rabbit is still moulting, in a weird way. her backside is smooth on top and tending to matt underneath, and has a bald patch to the right. i'm giving her a gentle pull daily and avoiding the bald bit. matthew on the other hand seems to have finished moulting and islooking very fine indeed, chewing on some nice dried dandelion...

Is he squishing under something and it is wearing the fur off ;)

That could be it!!

How do i stop it?? :? Will this be dangerous as he could lose a lot of heat from there. Hmmm..... may have to install a bunny cam to find out where it is!!

tabitha rabbit is still moulting, in a weird way. her backside is smooth on top and tending to matt underneath, and has a bald patch to the right. i'm giving her a gentle pull daily and avoiding the bald bit. matthew on the other hand seems to have finished moulting and islooking very fine indeed, chewing on some nice dried dandelion...

Awww :love: So baldy patches are normal??

The bun I picked up off the breeder.... Buttons, went bald in that place from the mites.... even lost fur on her ears..... I would be very careful...maybe get a vet check? I think the skin is usually scurfy or red though if it is mites :-/ How odd. Hope he feels better soon!! :wave:

The skin is pale but quite warm - I think he'll lose heat from there. Can you see mites? Because I've looked and can't see anything.

He's going to the vets in the week anyway for his vaccs, a health check and a nail trim. I'll obviously mention it to them too.

The skin is pale but quite warm - I think he'll lose heat from there. Can you see mites? Because I've looked and can't see anything.

He's going to the vets in the week anyway for his vaccs, a health check and a nail trim. I'll obviously mention it to them too.

I dont know.... I didnt SEE mites but there was white bits on the end of the fur almost like dandruff?? Can you see anything like that?

No and I've looked and looked. He does rub his neck on the shelf above when he jumps down from his sleeping spot so it could be that. I'm going to see if I can get him in quicker at the vets. :?

No and I've looked and looked. He does rub his neck on the shelf above when he jumps down from his sleeping spot so it could be that. I'm going to see if I can get him in quicker at the vets. :?

Hmm... could just be him rubbing it then.... there is no sign of anything else. I wish you luck at the vets :wave:

Back