• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Max poorly, HELP :(

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Just got up and noticed that Max isnt his usual self. Hes refused any interest in his pellets which he would usually wolf down and is doing that 'shifting positions looking uncomfortable' thing. We have tempted him with a dandy leaf and a blade of grass but he is just not right atall. My opinion is that hes not in fill blown stasis *yet* but is heading that way due to being in pain so not wanting to eat :cry:
As for the source of the pain im not sure although as he was neutered on Thurs thats the obvious culprit. One thing i have noticed is that he hasnt weed as much as id expect. Since i cleaned him out 24hrs ago theres just a small patch of wee :?
Im voing to call the vet at 9, im not sure what their emergency procedure is but i guess we'll find out.
I cant believe this is happening, my poor poor boy :cry::cry::cry:
on top of it all myself and oh went out last night and had a few too many, so im feeling like death. I only got up because i had a half asleep drink of my water and nearly drank a moth in the process, NOT A GOOD DAY :(
Cmon RU we desperately need your vibes today :cry:

Awww hope Max is ok, I had a terrible time with GI stasis with Benji a few weeks ago but touch wood he seems to have come through it

good luck at the vets

He may have a UTI

He will need to be seen by the Vet as he may need his bladder expressing and abx treatment. He'll certainly need pain relief.

Sending vibes for him xx

Ok now im confused :?
Whilst me and oh were frantically trying to get hold of our vet (noone is answering the phone AAAAAH) Max started acting completely normal again :shock: Hes eaten some pellets, hay, had a good drink and is happily exploring the kitchen :shock: He doesnt seem atall like a sick bun now, im at a complete loss as to what to do. Is it still an emergency?? Im teluctant to call my poor hard working vet on his only day off with his ba ies, to a bun that seems fine! :?
Jane, i thought maybe a UTI but hes been on abx since his neuter, although of course it is still a possibility. Maybe he had abit of gas qnd it shifted??
I had way too much wine last night to deal with this today :(

Aww, I'm so sorry. :( My Spenser had stasis last Wednesday night - he was so unwell he wasn't even doing the shifting position thing. Thankfully the treatment he got and our all night vigil pulled him through and e is now right as rain again. I'm too new to bunnies to give you advice, but from what you say Max seems to be on the mend. Has he done any pee/poos? :wave:

Aww, I'm so sorry. :( My Spenser had stasis last Wednesday night - he was so unwell he wasn't even doing the shifting position thing. Thankfully the treatment he got and our all night vigil pulled him through and e is now right as rain again. I'm too new to bunnies to give you advice, but from what you say Max seems to be on the mend. Has he done any pee/poos? :wave:

Thankyou :wave: Im so glad to hear your bun is better, well done for getting him through it :)
Max has done some big golden poos :shock: so hes not in stasis but he was/is definatly in pain. He hasnt weed yet though so im keeping a close eye on that, i definatly suspect its something in that region bothering him.
Thanks for the vibes xxxxxx

So sorry to hear that Max was poorly this morning Gemma. Sounds like a bit of gas to me actually, with the shifting positions behaviour, and that it has managed to resolve itself. This can happen. I would want him to have some pain relief today if you have any at home, and would be inclined to give his tummy a rub, and give him some infacol if he was my bun. I hope he stays well from now on. :)

Hope your hangovers clear up sooon too. Hot sugary drink should help :wave: x

ETA if he lets you I would give him a good couple of syringe fulls of water or cooled herbal tea - or some wet greens. Top his fluids up.

Thanks PL :wave: Very wierd isnt it, he seems great again now. Im quite glad we couldnt reach the vet in a way coz it would have been very embarrassing to present them with a lively, nomming bun :roll:
He still hasnt weed though, im convinced theres something not right down there. Hes not straining or showing any signs of pain though :?
Just keeping a very close eye on him now and will take the day as it comes. We havent got any metacam in atm, wish we did :(
Weeing vibes would be really appreciated xxxxxx

Thanks PL :wave: Very wierd isnt it, he seems great again now. Im quite glad we couldnt reach the vet in a way coz it would have been very embarrassing to present them with a lively, nomming bun :roll:
He still hasnt weed though, im convinced theres something not right down there. Hes not straining or showing any signs of pain though :?
Just keeping a very close eye on him now and will take the day as it comes. We havent got any metacam in atm, wish we did :(
Weeing vibes would be really appreciated xxxxxx

If he was bloated he may have got a little dehydrated. I understand the risks post-castration but would expect him to be less lively if he had a surgical complication causing UTI, although I have no experience of this personally. I would syringe him some fluids personally if he lets you and some soaking wet grass/dandelions and really get some more fluids in him. :) x

Hes actually just done a wee :D And is fine in himself so i guess it was gas.
He'll be going to the vets for a check over tommorrow anyway.
Thanks for ur help PL :D

That's good he's done a wee at last! Hope his check over goes well. I took Spenser for a check up to his own vet after his stasis episode - she's nicer than the emergency vet!

Glad all seems to be well again now. :D Bunnies make you paranoid!! Tilly once had two of these episodes in a week and I was going out of my mind with worry, on both occasions she was fine within a few hours, but now I find myself constantly watchiing her and panicking if her behaviour changes even slightly.

Back